• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planting Hairgrass

I have had some in my tank for a while which just rushes to the surface. TBH I don't actually mind the look of it, it softens up the tank and provides a very natural feel just swaying about. The actual base of the plant never seems to get any bigger so never seen the point of trying to split the main plant. I would probably end up with none anyway :)

What's the best way of trying to propagate it, are the plant-lets useless for replanting as I have any amount of them?

The main part of the plant breaks itself up, it doesn't grow any bushier at the base. I have trimmed it right down on numerous occasions but just grows upwards again.

I'm using a mixture of 2/3mm gravel and sand mixed as the base.

It takes a very long time for hairgrass to spread, you need to plant it in tiny clumps and close to one another if you want it to spread quicker, plenty of CO2 and ferts help also, and remember to trim it right back every other week, this will encourage new growth, it to spread and avoid getting algae.

you need to plant it in tiny clumps and close to one another

Do I plant the plantlets that are growing off the main plant? I read somewhere that these are no good for propagating.

AverageWhiteBloke said:
you need to plant it in tiny clumps and close to one another

Do I plant the plantlets that are growing off the main plant? I read somewhere that these are no good for propagating.

what i done with the runners is cut them of at the base then carefully (maby in a shallow dish of water) 'roll' them back up in to a plantlet again and re-plant. :D

Back