• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planted tanks and sumps

Halley

Hi - I am thinking of buying a tank with a sump because it is going cheap. I plan on having it planted, in freshwater with co2. Is it possible with a sumo. Also - has anyone any advice etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi - I am thinking of buying a tank with a sump because it is going cheap. I plan on having it planted, in freshwater with co2. Is it possible with a sumo. Also - has anyone any advice etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 500 litre tank with a sump. I run a pressurised CO2 system via an inline atomiser. My 1.5 litre CO2 cylinder lasts about 3 months (or more.. did not really keep track) at 1 bps. I do keep easy to maintain plants such as swords and java plants. I don't really think the loss of CO2 through agitation is that significant because I have measured the ph in my main tank and in the sump with a ph pen. The difference is about 0.3 ph. I do have the CO2 come on 1 hour before the lights are on.

Do you have any specific concerns about going planted and CO2 with a sump tank?

Every sump is different, 90% out there are DIY projects. The others probably custom build for the owner. It's hard to give any advice without knowing the sump or get specific questions asked or not knowing your expectations.

On thing all tanks with sumps have in common is, they all use overflow system, with a syphon or are drilled and have a standpipe. Regarding the overflows capacity you are a bit limited to flow speed. Also the flow characteristics in the tank will therefor always be different.

For example the most obvious one with a cannister filter setup, you have choices in where to put the inlet and outlet. The inlet is always submersed and deeper into the water column. The pumps capacity determines the flow capacity. So it is a bit more versatile if for what ever reason changing flow is requiered. You will have a lot more configurations to change it.

Now with an overflow/drain you always are skimming the surface, in a drilled tank this always will be in one static spot. With an overflow box or syphon you have more options, but still it only will skim the surface. So you are a bit limited in flow configurations without the help of extra pumps in the aqaurium.

If you know up front that you do not like the idea of having streampumps or wavemakers hanging around in your tank. You should take notice of your flow limitation before setting everything up. So when it comes to planted high tech tanks it all depends on your expectations and what plants in what place you like to grow. Some high tech setups require a rather high flow through to distribute the co2 evenly across every corner of the tank. In general 10 x tank volume turnover is adviced if you like all options to be optimal. But if your drain doesn't take this capacity, you will be limited.

With a sump and because it's something custom build it is very hard to say how it will work out when all is up and running.. Even more difficult if you know nothing of the complete setup on site.

This is not to scare you away from sumps, they are great and are unbeatable filters.. I have one too and i wouldn't have it any other way. It just is something requiring a bit inventivenes from the owner to get things different if you want to change things. Sumps aint plug and play like canisters are and you probably wont be able to buy it in the LFS. Some things you have to figur out and make yourself alllong the way. :thumbup:

Last edited:
i have a 55 gallon with a sump and I love it because yes you're restricted by the position of the overflow (although with a pipe overflow you can still put it anywhere in the tank) but you have a lot more control over the pump and media and get amazing water quality especially with a trickle filter. goodbye seachem purigen. I do experience problems with co2 loss with high demand plants like belems and toninas though but with proper placement and tweaks I have to eliminate surface agitation entirely and rely on my trickle filter.

Back