• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant Selection - What Would You Do ?

justin85

Hi all,

I am in the process of setting up a 60L planted tank and would like to get your advice on what plants you would pick in the selected area's in the photo below.

The tank will be high tech setup with custom made LED lights (by Ps3Steveo) pressurised Co2 and ferts (depending on the plant list I choose)

IMG_4257.jpg

IMG_4257copy.jpg

look forward to your replys and feedback :D

Crikey thats like asking whats your favourite ice cream lol. And at the end of the day what people suggest might not be to your taste. Have you looked at any of the plant options available yet ? Nice piece of redmoor by the way. What is your substrate ? You have said you are going high tech, and a lot of people tend to use nutrient enriched substrates if they are running a HT tank, and that can have a bearing on plant choices esp if you want to have a carpetting plant.

Hardscape looks nice already. HC or Glosso for A would be the obvious choice for high light

Good points mate lol I guess im just asking if this was your tank, what plants would you do in the sections then I will decide after getting some replys what to do. The substrate in at the moment is: COLOMBO FLORABASE Aquarium Soil (used and dried) but I am thinking of getting ada soil if need be.

Here's one idea I was thinking of doing.

Sections:

1: Hemianthus callitrichoides

2: Lilaeopsis mauritiana

3: Heteranthera zosterifolia

4: Nesaea crassicaulis

Ahh you have gone for the brown florabase then or is that the black (which is actually dark brown) ? There is nothing wrong wih florabase mate. Lots of guys on here use it with great success. If its been used before it might have lost some of its nutrient value but it should have absorbed nutrients from the water column if they were being dosed. You could consider topping it with some new ADA aquasoil.. maybe the powder granules (not actualy powder) to add enrichment, but again you could use the colombo equivalent.

You said you would be using ferts depending on what plants you go for. And at the same time you said it would be high tech. IMO if you are going high tech you should use ferts anyway. No point driving the plants with CO2 and higher lighting levels if you are not going to feed them.

I like your choices tbh. As far as carpets go, i like the look of a mixed bag. I have seen some awesome foregrounds that contain two or three different carpetting species intermingled. Looks a bit more natural too.

Hydrocotyle always looks nice in tanks that size too :)

Well I have got ada bright K and ada Green step 1 + 2 ready to go, plus some others like Aqua carbon (and a few more I cant think of) The LEDs will give me around the 3wpg mark so should be able to grow a wide range of plants.

I like the idea of mixing the carpet plants, any suggestions ? I was thinking about some moss on the redmoor could be an option also.

1. Glossostigma elatinoides or (preferably) Utricularia graminifolia
2. Staurogyne repens
3. Hygrophila polysperma or Hygrophila sp. bold
4. Hygrophila corymbosa (any variety) or Hygrophila Thailand

That wood is so nice!!!! Good fine there mate.

60cm tanks are my favourite, really good size to scape. Here's my list.

1. Glosso.
great carpet plant and IMO looks just as good as HC but without the stress

2. Staurogyne repens.
Suits Glosso well and is a stunning plant.

3.Hygrophila corymbosa 'Siamensis 53B'
AND
Rotala sp green

Far to big an area to just have one plant

4. C.helferi

BOSHHHHHHHHHH

That wood is so nice!!!! Good fine there mate.

60cm tanks are my favourite, really good size to scape. Here's my list.

1. Glosso.
great carpet plant and IMO looks just as good as HC but without the stress

2. Staurogyne repens.
Suits Glosso well and is a stunning plant.

3.Hygrophila corymbosa 'Siamensis 53B'
AND
Rotala sp green

Far to big an area to just have one plant

4. C.helferi

BOSHHHHHHHHHH

I like the look of your 1 + 2, is Glosso as demanding as HC ?

Glosso is really easy, I've not had much luck with HC, I should try again though tbh as it's been a while.

Glosso looks good with a few spots of riccia close to the staury. Have a look at some ADA 60p I think it is, ill have a search and post an example.

Glosso is a nice carpet, however alone this does not do the trick. Once it grows in and need to trim back nothing stays there just the root system as you trim all the leaf off from the plants....

This is probably the reason why Mr. Amano frequently mix Glosso with another plant which looks good even if you trim it back.

I would not go for UG at this time.

Another plant to consider is Marsilea which is as good as Glosso, but with a little CO2 this grows even in very dark areas where glosso will never spread.

How about Elatine Hydropiper? That's even smaller than Glosso and Marsilea, similar to HC.
You can have perfect carpet with that too

8096831401_ec7c238e8d_c.jpg

That's a good point made by Viktor with trimming. It can look horrific after a big trim. Which again I guess this is why amano mixes with riccia.

I think Glosso or hydropiper mixed with some so Japan would look really nice

Hey, Just wanted to thank every one for there replies. I have made a few changes to my plans but my project is going to start to move along now and I am going to need some help and advice along the way (mainly with ferts) anyway I will start a new thread in the journals section.

Here's the changes:
F4985501-5D15-4BE5-9A45-CBC4B29602B8-1331-00000136102C377C_zpsfa05ea98.jpg

Back