• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant pics at Tatton park

Becca

Seedling
Thought I'd add some pics from a trip to Tatton park about a month ago. The grounds are really lovely to walk around but then we discovered a grotty old greenhouse with a treasure trove of plants. I recommend it to anyone up in Cheshire. My photography doesn't do it justice but hopefully conveys it a bit. R the pics too big?

1. The Japanese Garden

7. Graeme investigating

8. Getting a bit over-excited about moss as per normal!

Well I hope you enjoy

Becca

Hi all,
I can put names to a few of the mosses and plants, the moss in pic 2. is a "Hair Moss" (Polytrichum), the moss in pic 3. is probably Brachythecium sp. the plant in pic 4. is Helxine (Soleirolia) soleirolii, pics 6 & 7 look like a Selaginella species, the fern is probably Woodwardia radicans, also in 12. In pic 9. and 11. the coloured leaves are Begonia rex cultivars, the lovely curly one in 11. may be B. rex "Escargot", (if you go back and find some "fallen off" leaves they are an easy leaf cutting, same for the Cyperus in pic 9.). The fern in 11. is Pteris vittata.
cheers Darrel

Swish. Nice info Darrel! We will be going back for sure at some point. It's a lovely place to have a walk, picnic, photography etc. We could do a ukaps meet there.

Thanks to Bec for posting them up. Worthy post as many peeps would love these plants at home.

Cheers.

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
I can put names to a few of the mosses and plants, the moss in pic 2. is a "Hair Moss" (Polytrichum), the moss in pic 3. is probably Brachythecium sp. the plant in pic 4. is Helxine (Soleirolia) soleirolii, pics 6 & 7 look like a Selaginella species, the fern is probably Woodwardia radicans, also in 12. In pic 9. and 11. the coloured leaves are Begonia rex cultivars, the lovely curly one in 11. may be B. rex "Escargot", (if you go back and find some "fallen off" leaves they are an easy leaf cutting, same for the Cyperus in pic 9.). The fern in 11. is Pteris vittata.

Wow! Thanks for that, I am impressed! How do you know what they are? Do you just know or is there somewhere you can look them up and find out? I wouldn't know where to start!

LondonDragon said:
looks like a great place to visit, did Graeme nick some cuttings??

Do you need to ask? Ha! Felt like a criminal, loitering by the plants till there was no one around! :lol: I had some interesting plants in my bag by the time we left!

Becca

Hi all,
I did a degree in Botany, and I worked for a long time in Horticulture (including some curation of plant collections) so I picked up a lot of the names.

Knowing where to start is the tricky bit, for "Glasshouse plants" I'd recommend "The Garden Plant Series - Conservatory and Indoor Plants - Volumes 1 & 2". by Roger Phillips and Martin Rix. You can often pick up "The Garden Plant Series" at cheap book shops remaindered etc. Begonias are in vol. 1.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Conservatory-Indoor-Plants-garden-plant/dp/0330373757/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_10

cheers Darrel

Back