• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant Leaf Holes

sonicninja

Hi everyone,
I have a newish tank and am having issues with my Rotala Rotundifolia. The leaves at the top of the plant have clear/holey patches.

All my other plants are doing really well with no signs of this issue. I'm currently using TNC complete fertiliser but am considering a switch to EI fry ferts to keep a better eye on what's going in to the tank.

Anyone have any ideas what this deficiency might be?
IMG_1205.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You say all the other plants are fine, they may look ok to you, but it seems to me that there are a few more issues there.

We need a bit more info to be able to help...

What are your water parameters?
Do you use CO2?
Any critters in the tank?

Hi all,
Looks like iron deficiency
Definitely could be.

My guess would be manganese (Mn) deficiency, mainly because of the necrotic patches on the younger (but not youngest) leaves. Non-motile element deficiencies show up in younger leaves, and your new leaves look quite pale and yellow (chlorotic).

Both iron (Fe) and manganese deficiencies are more likely to occur in hard water.

cheers Darrel

You say all the other plants are fine, they may look ok to you, but it seems to me that there are a few more issues there.

We need a bit more info to be able to help...

What are your water parameters?
Do you use CO2?
Any critters in the tank?

I don't have a test kit. I've had them on previous tanks and frankly they've been more trouble than they're worth for me. I was hoping to start this new tank without the use of one unless absolutely necessary.

Yeah, I've got a sodastream pressurised system at approx 1bps. Currently I haven't got any livestock in the tank, just plants.

Hi all, Definitely could be.

My guess would be manganese (Mn) deficiency, mainly because of the necrotic patches on the younger (but not youngest) leaves. Non-motile element deficiencies show up in younger leaves, and your new leaves look quite pale and yellow (chlorotic).

Both iron (Fe) and manganese deficiencies are more likely to occur in hard water.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, this sounds very possible. I've dealt with co2 issues before and don't think this is it. It's certainly on young leaves but seems to only affect the rotala. The newer leaves are browning in large patches which the lower leaves seem fine. I do have quite hard water too. I've posted a few more pics to show the other plants.

This tank has only really been up and going for about 6 weeks now, this issue didn't rear its head until a couple of weeks ago strangely. I don't remember changing any of my routines.
Could it be possible that something that's generated iron has depleted in my tank since I started it? Does aquatic soil contain iron?

Thank for your suggestions everyone!

Here are a few pics. Other plants are rooting and growing well. The stauro and HC Cuba have had a trim recently.

Attachments

• IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1251.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1252.JPG
    IMG_1252.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1253.JPG
    IMG_1253.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 222
  • IMG_1254.JPG
    IMG_1254.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 192
Hi all,
Could it be possible that something that's generated iron has depleted in my tank since I started it? Does aquatic soil contain iron?
It is really all guess-work, but I would expect that a active substrate (or soil) is much less likely to have micro-element deficiencies than an inert substrate.

Most micro-element deficiencies relate to ratios of elements, rather than just amounts.

It is difficult to tell in the photos (because of the light from above), but is all the new growth pale?

cheers Darrel

The new growth on the rotala is a little pale yes but it's mostly brown with some transparency.

Back