• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant ID ?

eminor

Hello, i have few plants which was so cheap, could you help me identify ? thx

20210812_174718.jpg
20210812_174735.jpg
20210812_174746.jpg

That one looks like a rotala rotundifolia with smaller leaves
20210812_174924.jpg

looks like aromatica, could also be hippuridoides. as i have some of that emmersed at the moment. Hippuridoides is often misidentified as Aromatica. but true aromatica is fairly rare in the hobby.
this is what, aromatica should look like.
this is what, hippuridoides looks like.
i'd be surprised if it were aromatica. though it can be find readily as "rau om" as a herb

looks like aromatica, could also be hippuridoides. as i have some of that emmersed at the moment. Hippuridoides is often misidentified as Aromatica. but true aromatica is fairly rare in the hobby.
this is what, aromatica should look like.
this is what, hippuridoides looks like.
i'd be surprised if it were aromatica. though it can be find readily as "rau om" as a herb
thx, any idea about the others ?

looks like emmersed hippuridoides to me.
1 week later updates, still not sure about the exact species, i also have a new one which seems to be alternanthera family ?

Is this plant gonna turn red ? looks like aromatica but not sure

20210822_162431.jpg

can't figure if it's really caroliana ?
20210822_162444.jpg

Alternanthera ?
20210822_162502.jpg

limnophila ? weird new stem lower leaf seems in a bad shape ? co2 is ok, light also, maybe °KH too high ? (12)
20210822_162451.jpg

thx

there are different variants of aromatica. first looks to be one of them. it may or may not turn red. second looks like bacopa caroliniana yes. tird looks like some sort of althernanthera but not sure on sp. 4th looks like Limnophila HIppuridoides.
1 week later updates, still not sure about the exact species, i also have a new one which seems to be alternanthera family ?

Is this plant gonna turn red ? looks like aromatica but not sure

View attachment 173386

can't figure if it's really caroliana ?
View attachment 173387

Alternanthera ?
View attachment 173388

limnophila ? weird new stem lower leaf seems in a bad shape ? co2 is ok, light also, maybe °KH too high ? (12)
View attachment 173389

thx

KH has nothing to do with distorted leaves. Distortion is either genetic or is due to poor CO2. Prune the leaf and observe the new leaf that grows. If the new leaf is distorted then it tells you that your flow or distribution of flow is faulty at that location.

In your third photo of the Althernanthera on the far right there is a grove of plants with most of their leaves missing. These plants are bunched together too tightly and this blocks the flow of CO2 into the densely packed stems. If you separate the bunch and allow more space between the stems then the lower stems will produce new shoots and new leaves.. Everybody thinks their CO2 is OK, so they imagine some other reason for failure. Good CO2 is more than just how much the injection rate is. It is also about how successful you are at delivering the CO2 to the plant.

Look at the dark areas of this grove of Limnophilia. This is in water at KH higher than 20. You can see that deep in the dark areas there are still plenty of leaves, even at the very bottom. That is because CO2 is being properly delivered to the plant bed. Those leaves simply adapt to the darkness by producing a higher density of chlorophyll.
The chlorophyll molecule is by far, mostly made of carbon, so when you deliver good quantities of Carbon Dioxide to the plant the leaves function equally well with LESS light.
8398027028_00e9364b7d_c.jpg

Cheers,

KH has nothing to do with distorted leaves. Distortion is either genetic or is due to poor CO2. Prune the leaf and observe the new leaf that grows. If the new leaf is distorted then it tells you that your flow or distribution of flow is faulty at that location.

In your third photo of the Althernanthera on the far right there is a grove of plants with most of their leaves missing. These plants are bunched together too tightly and this blocks the flow of CO2 into the densely packed stems. If you separate the bunch and allow more space between the stems then the lower stems will produce new shoots and new leaves.. Everybody thinks their CO2 is OK, so they imagine some other reason for failure. Good CO2 is more than just how much the injection rate is. It is also about how successful you are at delivering the CO2 to the plant.

Look at the dark areas of this grove of Limnophilia. This is in water at KH higher than 20. You can see that deep in the dark areas there are still plenty of leaves, even at the very bottom. That is because CO2 is being properly delivered to the plant bed. Those leaves simply adapt to the darkness by producing a higher density of chlorophyll.
The chlorophyll molecule is by far, mostly made of carbon, so when you deliver good quantities of Carbon Dioxide to the plant the leaves function equally well with LESS light.

Cheers,

thx, yes my flow is really bad, i was thinking about the rotala stems which as you said are way to densely packed. My filter is bad, i can't do well with that, it's a small internal filter with small space and low flow (60GPH for a 15 gallons tank...) i'm waiting for a canister filter with spray bar to deliver a good flow

there is my actual filter-co2 setup

tank bis.png

And what i'm going to try with the canister, is that will be good ? thx

tank.png

Last edited:
And what i'm going to try with the canister, is that will be good ? thx
Yes that is the basic configuration and should work well. I might have mentioned somewhere in the thread that you should also try placing the CO2 diffuser under the filter intake to see if the canister can handle it without coughing, burping or spitting too much. Also, remember not to fill the cannister with media, especially those cylinder shaped ones that are actually designed to reduce the flow. It would be better if you used mostly foam. That will improve your flow.

Cheers,

Yes that is the basic configuration and should work well. I might have mentioned somewhere in the thread that you should also try placing the CO2 diffuser under the filter intake to see if the canister can handle it without coughing, burping or spitting too much. Also, remember not to fill the cannister with media, especially those cylinder shaped ones that are actually designed to reduce the flow. It would be better if you used mostly foam. That will improve your flow.

Cheers,

thx, Is it a problem if I place the spray bar on a glass that is on the side rather than the back?

thx, Is it a problem if I place the spray bar on a glass that is on the side rather than the back?
Well, I wouldn't choose to place the spraybar on a side wall. The reason is that the flow has a much longer path to take across the tank. We are depending on the water's energy to flow down the glass and to travel back toward the spraybar. Doing it the way you suggest means the moving water will usually run out of energy. Placing the spraybar on the back wall means that the water has less distance to travel, so it has more energy to flow down the front glass and then towards the back glass. This usually provides better performance, but it doesn't automatically mean that the other way will fail. Sometimes, for aesthetic reasons (or for practical reasons) the spraybar has to be mounted on the side. It think if possible, it's wise to try both placements to see which works best for you.

Cheers,

Well, I wouldn't choose to place the spraybar on a side wall. The reason is that the flow has a much longer path to take across the tank. We are depending on the water's energy to flow down the glass and to travel back toward the spraybar. Doing it the way you suggest means the moving water will usually run out of energy. Placing the spraybar on the back wall means that the water has less distance to travel, so it has more energy to flow down the front glass and then towards the back glass. This usually provides better performance, but it doesn't automatically mean that the other way will fail. Sometimes, for aesthetic reasons (or for practical reasons) the spraybar has to be mounted on the side. It think if possible, it's wise to try both placements to see which works best for you.

Cheers,
thx, i received the filter, a last question, it that too much mass media for 15 gallons tank ?

eden 521, 200 GPH, flow seems good even if some plant are not moving a lot, co2 bubble on all plant but i thing that's not telling much =)
20210827_211407.jpg

it that too much mass media for 15 gallons tank ?
Those white cylinder things in the chamber on the right side of the photo (we call them "noodles" because they look like pasta) are THE worst media type you can have in your filter. They are specifically designed to reduce the flow through the filter so that the large particles will fall out of solution and be trapped inside. :thumbdown:

If you can find a substitute, such as Activated Carbon (or even more foam) then you will get better flow performance. More information can be had in the thread bio media for fluval 305

Cheers,

Those white cylinder things in the chamber on the right side of the photo (we call them "noodles" because they look like pasta) are THE worst media type you can have in your filter. They are specifically designed to reduce the flow through the filter so that the large particles will fall out of solution and be trapped inside. :thumbdown:

If you can find a substitute, such as Activated Carbon (or even more foam) then you will get better flow performance. More information can be had in the thread bio media for fluval 305

Cheers,
Thanks you so that why the flow is not that great for a 200 gph filter, i'm gonna remove them and let it blank for now, i think i have enough foam

Back