• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant ID

I bought these two below to put in my mini pond. There's no name on the sticker. Could you please ID them for me? Thanks.

20180421_121721.jpg

I've seen the below one growing around the river here so hoping it will take to wet conditions

20180421_121457.jpg

The second one is i think a Birdsnest Fern <Asplenium antquum> thats''s my first thought or a hart's tongue fern <Asplenium scolopendrium>

The first looks like an Aroid, could be a Syngonium sp. or a Philodendron sp. they can look a like.. :)

I think you're right, it's Syngonium podophyllum of some sort. I think the 2nd is hart's tongue fern. The images look very much like it. Both have already grown new leaves while sitting on the window. I'll see how they'll take to their roots wet :)

I took the 2nd fern on the picture above from the pot and I found a label on the inside plastic pot. It said it is Asplenium "Crispy Wave"

I am reading if placed in appropriate conditions it has the potential to grow much bigger.

When I took mine out of the pot, the pot stunk of hydrogen sulfate....There was no soil pretty much but a bunch of fused roots together... It seems it has rather big root system and the roots are rather ugly :).Its temporarily on the side of the tank in its new clay pebbles pot, sharing light with my other tank until I find it room inside the tank. I think I ran out of light again and I may have to purchase one more light...

The first syngonium is a great plant for wet roots. I've had one since Christmas that I'm planning to grow out the top of a new project. I've been progressively wetting the roots so it's now fully in water and it never even sulked like others I've tried.

Thanks mort. I hope so. I only put it in the tank last weekend. It looks good so far but its early to tell. I've had plants first grow a bit giving me hope then start rotting and melt as they can't cope with the excess water anymore.

That is an <"Asplenium nidus"> cultivar, so @zozo was nearest. It will get big, and is an epiphyte, so probably would benefit from better drainage.

So not much hope for it to do well in water in a pot......I'll try anyway since I already have it. If it starts acting up I'll move it out. It looks like a tough plants so it might take time for me to notice anything....

@dw1305

I keep forgetting but the reason I got the Asplenium is because by the river nearby here a very similar or the same species grows in the moist soil on the side. Well, not sure if the same because that one stays small but it looks almost identical. I even brought one home once but never got around to plant it and it died in a vase....I also saw it somewhere on the net in someones riparium but not sure how they had planted it in, whether on wood or in a pot....

The first syngonium is a great plant for wet roots. I've had one since Christmas that I'm planning to grow out the top of a new project. I've been progressively wetting the roots so it's now fully in water and it never even sulked like others I've tried.

I keep telling the story but 5 years back I bought a parlour palm. I split it in two and planted one on the window sill and one in the fish tank. The one in the fish tank is now 1.10 meters tall. The one on the window sill nearly died this winter, always stayed very small also, and is now in the fish tank on a recovery mission. It's been probably a couple of months now since in the tank and it is still showing problems adapting to very wet conditions although the exact same plant. The new leaves have brown tips, some die off.. etc..Sometimes it does take plants months to adapt. The worst is root melt, then there's no way back but remove the plant.

For example a bit of googling on parlour palm and you get things like:

"Water your indoor parlor palm sparingly – underwatering is better than overwatering."

So mine is growing monstrous in completely wet conditions but the advise is to not over-water...

So I generally can't trust all sources as plant do adapt to very different water conditions. Hence I keep trying.

Hi all,
I keep forgetting but the reason I got the Asplenium is because by the river nearby here a very similar or the same species grows in the moist soil on the side.
Your wild fern is Asplenium (Phyllitis) scolopendrium, the Hart's-Tongue fern.

It is pretty common all across the <"UK and Europe">, but rare in N. America.

cheers Darrel

Well, I just put it in the tank. It is rather squeezed now so I'll need to figure out something better but it gets some light. Let the strongest survive :)`

I also got a big plant basket worth of clay pebbles scattered all around the tank. I don't even know how I'll fish them out...They take ages to soak and it only happens when the plants sets big roots to hold them in place.

20180519_131754.jpg

It is sprouting leaves already. :)

Back