• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant ID needed

Progen

Went to a shop and was bored stiff with tanks and tanks of pelia, Monte Carlo and Java moss.

Then I saw this beauty looking all elegant on her own and I just had to have her.

Can someone please tell me what she is so that I can give her the care she deserves?

uLTPUJX.jpg

It is defenitely Crinum calamistratum - but this is a bulb-plant, so I do not like the look of tops being cut off the bulb :eek: .
- you may be lucky, that enough has followed the tops, for them to set roots and produce a new bulb........but this is really not the way to sell this plant !!! :thumbdown:

Hi all,
you may be lucky, that enough has followed the tops, for them to set roots and produce a new bulb
I don't think the leaves will re-root.

Some Crinums form bulbils in the inflorescence, but I don't think you can propagate them from leaves? Mick may no better?

A few <"Lilies"> (<"Eucomis"> is one) can produce new roots from a leaf cutting, but the vast majority can't. You can <"twinscale"> Galanthus etc bulbs, but you need some of the basal plate.

It is to do with the origins of the bulb. Basically the bulb itself is formed from modified leaves, and it is only the basal plate, where the roots grow from is a stem, which has the meristematic tissue that can form new plants. If you don't have any basal plate you can't get any new growth.

This is a Narcissus bulb, but it belongs to the same family as Crinum, they are all Amaryllids, and the structure is the same.

9.81.GIF

cheers Darrel

I just happen to really hate disappointing people......... but Darrel is - as per usual ;) - right; Re-rooting from just leaves of Crinum is not possible.
I can't really see from pic. though, if you are lucky enough to have just a bit of the "basis" (stem) of the actual bulb. If this is the case, Crinum calamistratum is often capable of growing roots fron very little of this basis (the plant is really surprisingly tough :) ).
- I still stand on my point, though - that this is not how to distribute the plant !

I think mine will be fine because after leaving it floating in another tank for a week, I planted it in a cutoff plastic bottle and hid it behind some driftwood and ferns.

It's grown a new leaf and the leaves are nice and firm. No browning, yellowing or melting.

1BGmBXe.jpg

I think it's a 90% chance that mine's going to make it. Its bulb is only partially in the substrate so it floated out. When pushing it back onto the substrate, I saw two new roots emerging from the single root on the bulb.

I think it's a 90% chance that mine's going to make it. Its bulb is only partially in the substrate so it floated out. When pushing it back onto the substrate, I saw two new roots emerging from the single root on the bulb.

You don't need to push it back. Just tie it with small rock, its roots will find the way through

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You don't need to push it back. Just tie it with small rock, its roots will find the way through

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind the next time it tries to take an unapproved vacation.

U2amPtP.jpg

Why didn't anyone tell me that this monster was such a prolific leaf thrower? It's floated out of the substrate again and when looking at it, I noticed at least another 3 new leaves!

plK7lGa.jpg

Damned thing kept snagging onto my hand or other plants when rearranging and so it came up again. Took it out of the water for a closer look and tell me if I'm wrong but if I'll be looking at 4 plants in another month or two.

You can have your 4 plants, yes - but for now let the "quartet" stay together, since they originate from the same (smal) piece of stem. When they have grown (considerably) bigger, the stem-part should have become bigger too.
At this time you can carefully separate them, using a sharp knife. It is very important, that each part have a reasonable piece of stem and preferably roots attached. Fungi might attack the fresh cut, but in a healthy tank this is very rarely a problem. It is worth minimising the surface of the cut though.
Guessing from the growth-tempo and look of your plant this should not take too long and furthermore indicates, that your plant is in very good health, geting its needs fullfilled. This makes success much more likely, when you divide the plant.
- looking forward to see how it works out..........:thumbup:

6LKCMuV.jpg

Caught them happily bubbling nonstop. Now I'm 200% sure that they're happy with me.

DXnD7OD.jpg

There are four distinct bulbs now although I'm in no hurry to separate them and the plant does look nicer on its own.

sf6bHwI.jpg

Can see 5 distinct bulbs now with one that can be split into two after a few more weeks but there's no hurry because they're not that popular over here.

Not too bad for a plant with only one root, eh?

Back