• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant ID and question

parotet

Hi all

Please have a look to the 4th layout in this website (from the great aquascaper Grégoire Wolinski).
http://www.aquadesigner-shop.com/content/8-nos-realisations

He has created what I was looking for in my mind during the last months. A kind of ceiling made with branches that come from the back corners in which plants are growing. Very interesting for having high biomass, emersed growing but also an open view of the layout. If you pay attention you can see the roots hanging down. I would like to know which plant he is using (leaves remind me Ceratopteris thalictroides) and which other plants would grow well this way (I guess attaching a few stems to the branches and then just floating or letting them grow attached to each other)

Jordi

Is it this?

37º- Swee Lim Cheah / IAPLC 2014
http://aquascaping.floraquatic.com/2014/11/international-aquatic-plants-layout-contest-2014/

Plants:hemianthus callitrichoides, hemianthus micranthemoides, hydrocotyle tripartita, hydrocotyle verticillata, bucephalandra sp, ceratopteris thalictroides, anubia nana, echinodorus tenellus,cryptocoryne parva, vesicularia ferriei, riccardia chamedryfolia, microsorum pteropus trident, penthorum sedoides, rotala butterfly, rotala sp, cryptocoryne costata brown, bolbitis heudelotii, vésicularia ferriei.
http://lafact.wix.com/fact#!swee/cfvg

It is! Thank you... so confirmed it is Ceratopteris thalictoides.
Still interested in knowing which other plants are suitable for being grown like this

Jordi

HC does this also if it has another plant to give support, i startet with some ricia and other moss attached to wood at the waterline, some trimmings from hC and UG got tangled up in it.I just left it there to see what happens. Now the ricia is completely outcompeted by HC and UG

Here you see what happened, how densly it grows on it's own root mass down left you see it grow on submersed. I also would like to support it with a wood branch along side the backpanel, growing towards the other sides emersed part to connect them togehter. Not yet found a suitable piece of wood for it. It has to grow behind the lilypipe outlet. Not much room left.. :) The top one is Angalis tenelus we spoke of before. Also very suitable as guiding plant because of her creeping grow fashion. I'm trying hydrocotyle in my other tank like this.. That's a typical climber like Ivy.. :)
DSCF6258.jpg

It is! Thank you... so confirmed it is Ceratopteris thalictoides.
Still interested in knowing which other plants are suitable for being grown like this

Jordi

I did it with "Hemianthus Micranthemoides". you´ll need to cut the roots from time to time. Or if you want to see a remarcable effect like a Spider web just let it be till she gets the bottom :)

"Tripartida" also does that effect on the roots. But the upper effect (bushes) is not so funny. Cause "Tripartida" doesn´t remain up or upwards but falling down.

Best regards

I must also thank you for reminding me Jordi.. :clap: Almost forgotten.. I was looking with this idea for Aeschynomene fluitans as support plant.. But it was out of stock for many moths.. This thread reminded me to take a look again. Just in time, :woot: almost out of stock again. I'll race to this LFS first thing in the morning to pick it up.. :thumbup: Yes finaly got it!!

The title of the scape is in the pictures filename.. :) Dieng.jpg.. I would like to see a shot from above with this tank.. But in this site is a drwaing of the hardscape setup only..
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2012/show116.html
That diagram doesn't realy show at what height the branches are placed going from left to right and right to left.. But i guess they function as support platforms for the plants.

I picked up my Aeschynomene fluitans today.. And it indeed did what i planned to do with it.. The driftwood on the left side is a hollow trunk, i did stick the stem of the Aeschyno between the plants into the hollow and goes lonside the backpanel behind the vertical tree. That's why it has horizontal support. I couldn't find this plant for over 6 months. And i was reluctant to do the same with a stick. Thanks Jordi for pooking my brain and reminding me.
DSCF6271 (Kopie).JPG

Now lets wait and see which plant it is going to use this branch as host and wich one is the first to reach the other side.. :) And tanks to UKAPS for finding this plant in the first place. never saw it before.. Probably never would have known about it if it wasn't for this forum.. :clap::thumbup:
DSCF6275 (Kopie).JPG

Back