• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant Id and advice please

Talkingteacups

My tank has been planted for a few weeks now, and mostly seems to be doing okay. But of course I'm still fiddling with lights etc.
This plant looked Brill for the first 2 weeks but now it's going this brownish colour, although growing really lovely green shoots.

What plant is this, and what can I do to bring the green back in the rest of the plant and not just the new growth?

(190l tank, 1300lumen 6500k led light on for 10 hours, no c02, dosing 19ml tnc complete once a week)
7bf69dd296a69fb327548794e4ae7d72.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

What plant is this, and what can I do to bring the green back in the rest of the plant and not just the new growth?
Pogostemon erectus at a guess.

Regardless whether I'm right or not the plant in question will have likely been grown emersed (only its feet in the water) and will take a while to adapt to its new submerged (full under water) surroundings. If conditions are well the old emersed plant will eventually fade, but new growth or side shoots will have adapted.

Eventually you can cut and replant the new growth, and discard the ugly old growth.

Regardless whether I'm right or not the plant in question will have likely been grown emersed (only its feet in the water) and will take a while to adapt to its new submerged (full under water) surroundings. If conditions are well the old emersed plant will eventually fade, but new growth or side shoots will have adapted.

Eventually you can cut and replant the new growth, and discard the ugly old growth.
I just searched the name and i think it's that! I looked online for a while today typing 'plant that looks like hornwort' 'Plants similar to egeria densa' but none of the stems seemed similar and knew it couldn't be any of them haha. I'm trying at the moment to get my lighting etc right, and so I hope they're hardy enough to get through that. I'm guessing by the new growth they already have means they should be okay!!
Thanks so much for the help

Not sure. I've been growing this species a while ago and the leaves were softer and longer. What about some Rotala, perhaps some of those rather obscure ones called 'Vietnam', 'Cambodia', 'H'Ra' or so?

Not sure. I've been growing this species a while ago and the leaves were softer and longer. What about some Rotala, perhaps some of those rather obscure ones called 'Vietnam', 'Cambodia', 'H'Ra' or so?
Could well be, I'm guessing at formation of emersed growth, its a minefield 😁

This plant came in a bundle where it included the one in the photo, as well as a smaller bunch of the plant you describe with the softer longer leaves, that were slightly reddish pink. I'm guessing that was rotala. They're very similar to look at from afar though so I put them together in another part of my tank

That plant kind of looks my 'limnophila hippuridoides' did when it was first planted. I'm not the best at ID'ing plants though, so take that with a grain of salt lol.

That plant kind of looks my 'limnophila hippuridoides' did when it was first planted. I'm not the best at ID'ing plants though, so take that with a grain of salt lol.
If it’s limnophila hippiridoides/aromatica it will have a very nice smell when stems are crushed. If it just smells leafy it’s not it. I will suggest that it is one of the thin leaves rotala variants (wallichii, Bangladesh, Cambodia, vietnAm) or, a mayaca species.

I've just had a google, and the leaves seem slightly broader than how established growth looks like, also not as spiky looking on the end. I'm obviously a complete and utter noob and have no idea past very basic stuff though hahaha

Back