• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant growth

john arnold

hey

New tank 800x40x450, twinstar600ae, using fertz from aquariumplantfood.co.uk, lights pn 7 hours day pressirised co2, now got hair algae and diatoms which i expect from new tank but the plant growth seems to be slow even on a stem plant, im increasing light to 8 hrs now its 4 weeks and a bit old, light is about 3 inches above water, the monte carlo is growing slowly but takoing longtime to root in the tropica aquarium soil i put in, just seems to be slow growth, reckon i should lower the light or ? Or am i being impatient, the diatomes are quite bad a moment

Attachments

• F527E6D6-DE1A-47CF-9A89-A6E37E739D3C.jpeg
    F527E6D6-DE1A-47CF-9A89-A6E37E739D3C.jpeg
    341.4 KB · Views: 114
Just a quick question, ha , i bought some purigen for my other tank but then thought if that tkes out nitrates and im putting nitrates in with the fertz then does that not counteract what im doing.?

Hi all,
i bought some purigen for my other tank but then thought if that tkes out nitrates and im putting nitrates in with the fertz then does that not counteract what im doing
No you are fine. Purigen doesn't remove nitrate ions (NO3-) from solution. When you add potassium nitrate (KNO3), even as a dry salt, it is really soluble and just you've added K+ and NO3- ions.

Purigen removes "organic wastes", potentially some proportion of these would be protein based and would eventually be converted to nitrate via nitrification.

I'm usually not very keen on <"Seachem's description of how their products work">, but in this case, their reply in <"Purigen and what it does"> looks about right.

cheers Darrel

Hey

Thanks man thats good news, as i cleaned filter all nice and the pouch fitted in perfect

Cheers

Back