• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant deficiencies? and leggy growth

Nick potts

Hey all.

Running into some issue (yet again)

This tank has been running for around 2 months, plants were growing well but I have noticed what I think is either deficiencies or just general unhealthiness in some plants, mostly in the monte carlo with transparency and torn edges and leggy growth in the rotala h'ra and bonsai.

27l tank
18w LED 6hrs a day
Tropica aquasoil
5ml of the aquascaper ferts per day
Pressurised co2 via twinstar diffuser at 2-3bps, then into the intake of external
2 x external filters, both running 500lph via spray bars
80% WC every 4 days currently.

Livestock is 6 amano and around 8 nerite

Any advice would be great.

Cheers

IMG_20210314_215503.jpg
IMG_20210314_215457.jpg

IMG_20210314_215313.jpg
IMG_20210314_215530[742].jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210314_215530.jpg
    IMG_20210314_215530.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 156
Leggy stems (long internode distance) is a typical sign of poor/insufficient CO2 at the plants stem level. You do have an impressive filter output for the tank size but do the CO bubbles reach the substrate level and is there reasonable flow at that level eg bubbles fluttering about one way or the other.

A Full Tank Picture would help also to see the intakes and spray bars

Last edited:
Leggy stems (long internode distance) is a typical sign of poor/insufficient CO2 at the plants level stem level. You do have an impressive filter output for the tank size but do the CO bubbles reach the substrate level and is there reasonable flow at that level eg bubbles fluttering about one way or the other.

A Full Tank Picture would help also to see the intakes and spray bars

Thanks @Zeus. i'll get a pic when lights come on.

The external with the co2 at the intake has the spray bar pointing across the tank and down. I have my drop checker on the opposite side close to the substrate.

But I do have an awkward layout with a large rock and a big bush of hydrocotyle tripartite that blocks the flow.

Few pics, these are all a week apart, the last one was taken today.

Overall i am not happy with any of the growth in the MC, or rotala, very leggy compared to the last setup with used the same light etc.

The hydrocotyle tripartite is starting to take shape, so there is that :)

Thanks

20210226_162443.jpg
20210308_225810.jpg

IMG_20210315_180257.jpg

Anyone else see any obvious issues?

Hi Nick,
I might be misinterpreting the photos but it looks like you have two spraybars at right angles to each other? If so then not the best configuration for getting good flow as there will be some degree of flow cancellation. The bars really ought to be on the same wall. Whichever wall generates the best flow is the best location. The bars don't need to be strung out if there is insufficient room. They can be placed one directly beneath the other if plumbing allows.
Also you need to repeatedly trim the leggy stems and perhaps replant the tops. The stems will not just automatically become bushy by themselves. You need to encourage bushy growth by repeated pruning. Multiple shoots will then emerge at the nodes.

Cheers,

Hi Nick,
I might be misinterpreting the photos but it looks like you have two spraybars at right angles to each other? If so then not the best configuration for getting good flow as there will be some degree of flow cancellation. The bars really ought to be on the same wall. Whichever wall generates the best flow is the best location. The bars don't need to be strung out if there is insufficient room. They can be placed one directly beneath the other if plumbing allows.
Also you need to repeatedly trim the leggy stems and perhaps replant the tops. The stems will not just automatically become bushy by themselves. You need to encourage bushy growth by repeated pruning. Multiple shoots will then emerge at the nodes.

Cheers,
Thanks Clive.

Yes, your right the spray bars are not in the best position, I have rejigged them today during my water change but there is only so much room and access is difficult.

I have only ever started my fully planted tanks as dry starts and never had issues with monte carlo going translucent dying off, is this just normal transitioning?
Cheers

I have only ever started my fully planted tanks as dry starts and never had issues with monte carlo going translucent dying off, is this just normal transitioning?
Hi Nick,
Well, I mean, you could ask that question of just about any plant and the answer is always that if the newly submerged plants do not get enough gas due to errors in CO2/Oxygen/flow/distribution, then yes, the leaves can die off rather quickly. If you previously had not had any die off when you flooded the tank then that just means the gas and flow distribution were good enough in that particular tank at that time.

Cheers,

Back