• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant acclimatisation periods?

Rob P

I'm often baffled by how long some plants take to get going. I've had a number of plants where they have been in the tank for MONTHS before really getting going, but once they do there's no stopping them.

I've also had plants that have taken pretty much straight away with minimal leaf drop.

It amazes me how some people can bust a scape in like a 3 month period, because I reckon 50% of the new plants I put in take that period of time just to adapt.

Currently i've got a Hygro (salicifolia rubra) that's been in since early April and still refuses to do much, it's still shedding leaves put does put new leaves out as well. I had the same with Polygonum sp sau paulo and Lobelia cardinalis dwarf, but these grow at will these days and don't drop leaves, despite fierce trimming.

Interestingly, when I set up the low tech and planted that with new plants (ie plants grown emersed) I had no die off and super quick growth. The hi tech, blasted with ferts and pressurised CO2 (and not tons of light) is the tank where this lengthy settling in process occurs.

Cheers,
Rob

I have the same problem, and I think it's something that I'm doing wrong... my plants seemed to grow like weeds when I went from dry start ->> water.... everything grew, looked beautiful then something happened (potassium def.) and most of them died but the recovery proces is a pain, the plants maybe release 1 leaf a month max where they used to put out more per week.... I now dose EI and have Co2 and still the same shotty results, other plants seem to have the same problem with the slowness... so it may be something on my end...

I don't have issue with exsiting plants and plants that have already gone through a long acclimatisation period, they are growing like bu**ery :D lol

I'm just curious why some plants take so long to settle in when those around them go bezerk!

I think one possible reason is that some plants like to spend their energy establishing a good root system before they start to thrive. Most plants in nature probably have a root system just as big as what you see above ground. That's my guess.

Back