• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plans for a planted tank

MisterB

hi guys. i put this here because im covering most of the specific forum sections.

ive been looking around the forum quite a bit the last few days when i get the chance trying to help with my plans, only recently joined but ive been popping in now and then for a few months. been geting into fishkeeping more and more over the last year or so.
i want to dedicate a tank to be high tech, heavily planted. the plants have pure priority here, and fish/inverts will be added to compliment the plants. i have a 110ltr and 220ltr i could use, i think the bigger being better as it would be more stable. that tank is a 3footx2footx18inch (LxHxW)

ok so, what i have: the tank, ehiem 2215+ external filter, T8 2foot fluorescent batten, bag of SPF sand

what i plan: replace the light batten with a over tank luminaire, 156W (4 X 39W) 156w/48gallon = 3.25 WPG
set up a co2 kit, add 2x1000LPH power heads, replace the substrate, or use something under it.

the light unit is fairly straight forward, ive been looking at this http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/a...ing/black-t5-fish-tank-lights-four-bulbs.html
these power heads (just because i already have 1 of the 600lph ones and it seems good) http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/eheim-compact-1000-pump-1501000-ltrhr-p-344.html
the substrate, i was thinking of just useing soil, either on it own (might be a bit to messy?) or coverd with fine gravel, or sand.
what do you guys think?

now, the part im struggleing with is the co2. i want a regulator and solenoid (i dont see the point in running co2 for 15 or 16 hours when it dosent need to be ran) the only regulator valve ive found with a solenoid on it is the TMC V2 CO2 Pressure Regulator Pro. http://www.h2oaquatics.co.uk/saltwater-equipment/co2-regulators/tmc-v2-co2-pressure-regulator-pro now most other reg valves without solenoids ive seen start at around £30, and then most seperate solenoids ive seen are around the same or £40. so the TMC seems a fair price.
i then looked at bottles. i checkd the link you guys have for refills. local to me is the green machine, and a place at St Helens, gascylindersuk. heres the bottle i looked at. http://gascylindersuk.co.uk/shop/index.php?_a=product&product_id=95 now the co2 reg says this "Suitable for all UK refillable CO2 bottles with DIN 477 Connection.Ideal for use on CO2 bottles such as fire extinguishers." i just spoke to the bottle company and they said it wouldnt fit there bottles. they said there connection is 58 bullnose?
i thought, no problem ive seen other bottles. so i looked at this http://www.h2oaquatics.co.uk/saltwater-equipment/co2-accessories/tmc-co2-cylinder-567g but, i know that TMC make 2 reg valves, with 2 different connections, (CGA320) american standard size and TMC's own bottle connection size. and then the (DIN477). how ever that website dosent seem to sell the (CGA320) regulator.
i know TMC sell those regs, both varients without the solenoid, but it seems more exspensive to get them seperately?

also if anyone can shed any light on how big im expecting the 500g and 2kg bottles to be? and then in comparisen the 5ltr? im struggleing with comparing the two.

sorry ive whitterd on for so long, but as you can see, i know where i want to go, i just need some guiding back on track and a bit of slapping :lol:

id really appreciate help, comments, suggestions ect

thanks.

i now use beer gas bottles from a local bbq shop. 18 pounds for over 6 kg. Pure co2.

The DIN477 reg should fit gas cylinders supplied in the UK. That's my experience anyway. Maybe you want to talk to those guys again and double check. As far as I am aware, most industrial providers in the UK use the DIN477 cylinders to supply CO2... I wasn't aware that there was another fitting type, other than the American one.

On a separate note, that sounds like a lot of light. You might find that if you want to supply that much light without algal blooms then you will have to gas the tank so hard that it's not suitable for any animals. As you have said that you aren't that worried about fish and inverts, then this may not be a problem for you, but having some animals in the tank can be helpful for the plants.

If you can get extra power cable for the light unit as you may want the flexibility to run just 2 bulbs or as 2 most the time with a midday burst of 4. Try and buy everything with as much flexibility as possible like powerheads that have adjustable output etc... Can make life a lot easier and cheaper to increase and decrease these things as you feel your way along rather than replace.

thanks for the replys.

i was a bit suprised when they said it wouldnt fit as the website says "standard valve" i can push for more info later tho.

Alastair, im in Northwich, only about 30mins drive apparently from you. they are a little big to go behind my tank (where i intended) but would a set up be ok if the bottle was across the room from the tank, and the co2 tubing from the regulator/solenoid to the tank being a few meters? if so, that would be do-able, and then i would just need to sort the regulator, very kind for the offer :)

as for the regulator, i read that the TMC ones, you cant alter the line pressure, would this be an issue? if anyone has any other suggestions for regulators with solenoids, or ones without but then id need a suggestion for a solenoid too, that would be great.

as for the light, i have a little 30ltr tanks with 2x11w t5 atm, and there is alot of algea in there to be honest.
i went for this one as my 6foot tank has 4xT8 tubes, its around 1.7 WPG, and i just thought id want it higher than that. the 2 tube,3foot long unit gives around 1.5wpg i think.

i could get the 2foot long unit with 4 bulbs. this is then 96W (4 X 24W) about 2 WPG. would this be a more sensible option (and also cheaper than geting the extra power cable) i can add 2 strips ontop of the tank for the light unit to sit on as its shorter than the tank, that is no problem.

as for stocking the tank, its not a major factor, but, if reduceing the lighting down to 2wpg is better all round and means less c02 injection, then a few small fish and shrimps could be added later.

the power heads i linked are 150-1000lph, they have a little slider you can change the flow rate with. very handy tip tho there with the flexibility, ill defo bare that in mind from now on.

thanks so far guys, much appreciated!

so that would mean not useing the tmc regulator? and useing a different setup?

and, im new to all this, but surly id only loose pressure if i had a leak somewhere in one of the connections?

if i had the bottle, regulator& solinoid, check valve, length of pipe to tank, bubble counter, diffuser.

isnt it like a water hose, a long piece of hose might take a gallon of water to fill,but then the next litre you send through, you get a litre out when you fire the gun?

sorry if im miss-understanding things.

Yeah a cylinder across from the tank would be fine. I ran mine with lots about 3 meters of co2 tubing too with no problems. The only problem with the tmc like you say is they aren't adjustable for working pressure if, you wanted one of the fine co2 misters which are very effective. If its just a glass diffuser or reactor go with the tmc.
If not, then myself I'd recommend the lunapet reg and Seperate solanoid which has adjustable working pressure. Awesome kit and about 90 euros delivered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi there.

i was just planning on useing a glass diffuser, but the "fine co2 misters" have my interest, can you shed anymore light on these?

i read a few things about the lunapet regs here and there on these forums. but saw they didnt have a solenoid. i didnt find there ebay page till i looked again tonight.

one of there solenoids and reg valve is around the same price as the TMC so, im very tempted at these now.
but ive seen they sell full kits, bottles reg valve solenoid diffuser tube bubble counter. im woundering if one of these wouldnt be a good idea, and possibly replace some of the components like the bubble counter if there not very good (i have no clue)

as for my lighting, is going down to 2wpg a better idea? or, a better question, what amount of T5 lighting should i aim for?

thanks.

Lighting should be the limiting factor. So, the more light you have, the more CO2, ferts you need and the more important distribution and flow becomes. Growth increases as well. It depends on the lights and the set up, but I wouldn't bother with anything more than 2W/g. Remember to check the colour temperature, measured in kelvin. I understand that plants can adapt to any light temperature, but the predominant theory (as far as I am aware) is to use a "daylight" bulb which I think is around 6800k. Have a look on the lighting tutorial as it is pretty detailed on all this stuff.

the help has been great guys, really helped me with my plans.

ok, so im going for the 2tube 3foot unit. Power: 78W (2 X 39W) Tubes supplied: 1 x Marine blue, 1 x 10k White. which depending on how much i fill the tank, will be around 1.7 - 2WPG.(id like something poking out the top!) now im asking if there's a chance i can ditch the marine blue tube, maybe get another 10kwhite but ive asked if they have any 6500k or similar. i use 6500 and 6800k in all my tanks currently (other than a 10kblue on my shrimp tank, just personal preference.) would 2x10k white be ok? decided to go for lower lighting as i do want some stock, and i had 2x11w running on my 30litre tank and experienced a few things for myself :p
ill be going to pay Alastair a visit at the weekend to collect the CO2 cylinders, ill be getting the lunapet reg and solenoid. ill also be getting a UP inline atomizer, ive read good things about them and so they say, ill get better diffusion with one of these.
substrate ive got a bag of SPF sand i may use, but cat litter tray stuff seems to be a good option, another thanks to Alastair for that suggestion.

now here's where i need your help again :D:D
as for bubble counters, im struggling to find a selection, ive only found a few and all seem the same. anybody have any suggestions? or places to purchase CO2 gear from?
ive looked at a JBL one with a check valve in, if anyone knows anything about these that would be great.

and also power heads. i was looking at the ehiem compacts but they only go upto 1000lph.
with my filter (ehiem 2215) producing about 620 LPH.
now the tank is 36x24x15 = about 220ltr, but realistically it'll hold 180-190litres.
should i be looking at something around 1500-2000 LPH power wise?
and any suggestions for brands ect would be great.

thanks again.

i may have a couple of bubble counters but will double check for you mate when you come over, but any are ok. some of the cheap ones from hong kong for a couple of pound are ideal if yiur not bothered about aesthetics not sure if i have a spare but do have a glass bubble counter.

powerheads again ebay are good for cheaper ones, or hydor koralias etc are good value

Aquaessentials is my place for buying co2 related stuff.

With regards to bubble counters, i have about 3 sat redundent...The reason being, i dont use them. On start up, you can gauge everything via a drop checkeer. Of course dont be adding live stock.

Bubble counters can often give inconsistent results, the rate alters during the day. The bigger the tank, the more Co2 is needed....then it starts to become difficult to even read how many bubbles are going through the bubble counter.

agree with Mark. My bubble rate is off the chart.

thanks for the help again guys.

very kind of you Alastair but i dont wanna take all your spare's :p
i use aqua essentials but i was just wondering on more choice. ill probly get a bubble counter just to get the experiance of useing one, but i wont spend alot of money on it. im sure ill soon see your point once set up.

the tank wont have any stock at first, i think thats the best idea. but eventually id like a little stock.

now the thing with power heads, im a bit scepticle of geting cheap ones from ebay. this tank stand is actually in my bedroom, so things have to be as quiet as poss.
the hydor koralias look good, ive checked out the NANO 1600, + 620 (filter) 2220 lph.
i think that sounds about right? but the only thing it has no adjustment.

youve been great help thanks everyone. id still be very lost indeed without it!

i have the nano korallia powerhead. adjustable and small. good item

darren636 said:
i have the nano korallia powerhead. adjustable and small. good item

what is the rated output on yours? i didnt think they we're adjustable, bonus if it is of course.

the new nano models are 900 and 1600 and the old were 900 and 1500

Back