• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planning a low tech on a budget

Boxerbrad

Hi so I'm planning a low tech on a budget at the moment.

I live in Leeds - Yorkshire and not too far from where I am we have the Moors and Dales with plenty of clean rivers and hills where one might be able to collect some good rock for hardscaping.

I was initially looking at grit stone as it's common near me - having done the vinegar test it doesn't react visibly. That said I read somewhere that aquarists tend not to use it. Just wondering if anyone on here has ever collected grit or sandstone for aquarium use?

Hi Boxerbrad, Hope this helps

Sandstone is sometimes bound by a calcium-based mineral, which would affect pH, particularly in lower-pH tank Also, sandstone can have a variety of minerals in it, and because it's water-permeable, these minerals could easily be leached out of the rock.
Sandstone is listed here.
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/safe-and-unsafe-aquarium-rocks-533.html

Ah damn, I have slightly soft water. If it was just going to impact the pH I wouln't be too fussed but it's the mineral content hat is the buggy bit. :/

Guess I'll have to scour the coast for suitable bits of granite and slate

Hi so I'm planning a low tech on a budget at the moment.

I live in Leeds - Yorkshire and not too far from where I am we have the Moors and Dales with plenty of clean rivers and hills where one might be able to collect some good rock for hardscaping.

I was initially looking at grit stone as it's common near me - having done the vinegar test it doesn't react visibly. That said I read somewhere that aquarists tend not to use it. Just wondering if anyone on here has ever collected grit or sandstone for aquarium use?
I live in Wakefield and have used Sandstone, grit stone and even bog wood taken from swampy ground in past years when money was tight just soaked it and scrubbed it until clean and solid can't say I ever had any issues. I'd say give it a go in a small way and see how you get on. Best of luck.

I live in Wakefield and have used Sandstone, grit stone and even bog wood taken from swampy ground in past years when money was tight just soaked it and scrubbed it until clean and solid can't say I ever had any issues. I'd say give it a go in a small way and see how you get on. Best of luck.

Thank you for the input - nice to hear from someone moderately close to me. Where did you collect from?

Hi all, I think you are safe enough with mill-stone grit, it is famously hard and impermeable.

cheers Darrel
Thank you I thought this as the water in west Yorkshire is usually moderately soft, so surely there can't be many dissolved minerals coming in?
I'm not sure if it is millstone grit precisely - though I will have to have a look around. I think this weekend I am going to go for a hike around Ilkley and Otley. Any good samples from streams or old quarry sites I come across I'll take photos of to see what you lot think of them.

Thank you for the input - nice to hear from someone moderately close to me. Where did you collect from?

Hetchell Crags near Thoner/|Scarcroft the stream is spring fed from along the crag which I've had many a thirsty drink out of! The surrounding banks are very boggy as a result and full of bog oaks a couple of which are probably over 1000 yeas old. Pity they are not small enough to fit in a tank as they are well gnarled.

Hetchell Crags near Thoner/|Scarcroft the stream is spring fed from along the crag which I've had many a thirsty drink out of! The surrounding banks are very boggy as a result and full of bog oaks a couple of which are probably over 1000 yeas old. Pity they are not small enough to fit in a tank as they are well gnarled.

Quick google and I'm pretty sure that's not too far from me. Looks like a nice walk too
Might go there instead if the weather is going to be a bit foul over Ilkley. Plus I know there are plenty of old grit stone quarries up there already.

Back