• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planaria

Myrtle

I'm currently fighting planaria in all my tanks and it just occurred to me that I might be wasting my time treating the tanks if they're also in the live food tubs outdoors. Do the planaria we get in aquariums also live outdoors, in say, water butts or the tubs I harvest daphnia etc from? Am I just reintroducing the planaria every time I grab a jug of daphnia?!

Yes the planaria do live in any body of water so they may be in the tubs. You could try a planaria trap in the tubs to find out if they are in there.

Dose it with panacur which will kill them pretty easy in 24 hours. You might have to repeat if there are eggs that hatch after, dose it a few days later again. That usually works for me.

I'm currently fighting planaria in all my tanks and it just occurred to me that I might be wasting my time treating the tanks if they're also in the live food tubs outdoors. Do the planaria we get in aquariums also live outdoors, in say, water butts or the tubs I harvest daphnia etc from? Am I just reintroducing the planaria every time I grab a jug of daphnia?!
In your situation I would say you would be wasting your time as you would need to be treating often which would be detrimental to your tank. In your configuration I would simply add traps, or if you really want to treat the tank then stop using food that comes from outdoors.

Thanks, I suspected that might be the case. I'm not too worried about them in the betta tanks as I think they may eat them and I know the paradise fish do! The shrimp tanks don't get fed with outdoor food so I'll just treat them. Come winter, I'll treat all the tanks as the food won't come from outdoor tubs.
What's the dose for panacur? I have a spare sachet left from doing the dogs anyway!

Have a read at:
and this:

Back