• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Piranha Tank at the London Aquarium

The staff cleans the tank ok, they say that the piranhas avoid them.. :) I would not risk it..

Ha! I'd go in with a baseball bat.

Have you seen that film piranha 3D?
Kelly brooks baps were fantastic, shame about the acting.

I took my daughter last weekend, and the piranha tank was amazing, hopefully the quality of more tanks will improve in line with this one. If you need assistance in the future, I'm local and would be well up for helping.

I am very happy that you enjoyed it.. :)

Took some pictures? Share them..

819197_374822272615026_1796950284_o.jpg

Saw the article at the PFK, London Sea Life Piranha tank gets an aquascaping makeover | News | Practical Fishkeeping ..

Highly inaccurate, in a variety of points, such as the brief being a Biotope, and how the plants would be fed, the use of the fish, how long it took to build, why fighting algae will be an issue.

It is nice to see how the only Fish Keeping Magazine in the UK did not even bother to turn up to see the tank, or to at least try to get accurate information.

The tank was never meant to be a Biotope. The large majority of South American Biotopes do not have plants.

The plants are being fertilised with root balls. On the wood is moss, ferns and anubias.

The tank took one day to do the hardscape, one day to plant and on the third day the fish went in, not over a week as they claim.

The fish have enough place to hide, as they were before on the tank with larger piranhas without any issue.

If they had bothered to turn up, seen the project from day one (Tuesday) to end (Thursday) then they could have possibly presented a more balanced article, instead they choose to write the nonsense they did.

Yes, I could post this on their page, but why bother? It would just get deleted, as it happens with many other posters.

Let's see how long it stays here.

Not a question of grievances.. more like just inaccurate information. For example, the Sea Life staff also wanted a biotope.. I showed them photos of what the location where the Piranhas are from really looks like..

They quickly changed their minds, and were happy to have a normal planted tank. This was in November, so not sure what brief PFK got to say that it was to be a biotope..

I will leave for Sea Life and Planted Tanks to deal with PFK, I think that they will contact them soon.

Thanks.. I will wait for Planted Tanks and Sea Life center to get in contact with PFK, as I am not sure what sort of information Planted Tanks sent them.

I have not seen the tank since, but the Sea Life center says that one month on it is still going strong, so for me that is all that matters, not what PFK writes or says.

No such large system will be completely without algae.. there are people with 20L tanks that cannot beat algae, so I very much doubt that this 18000L with a 2 Million litter filter (the size of a house) would be completely without algae, and that is not the intention of the scape.

What we want to achieve are healthy plants, plants that grow, thrive and offer the visitors a good experience.

Algae is everywhere, you cannot beat it. One month on, plants are alive, how many here have had to destroy their scape due to issues with much smaller tanks? :) So hats off to the Sea Life Center for keeping the tank going.

:) That was why I wrote what we want to achieve are healthy plants, plants that grow and thrive. :)

If it goes full on threat algae, cyano, all plants covered, then the plants will just die. Hopefully that does not happen. :)

But if it does, at least the tank will be Biotope correct, only in certain parts of South America there are plants under water, most of the times looks like a mud river.

Time will say if it works out or not.. :)

Written on the PFK website, in response to the comments by the staff.

"Will the extra recommended fish survive the piranha, and the plants survive one hungry L191 and 100 Otos?"

Would the fish survive the Piranha? Of course they will, Piranha feed on sick or dying fish, any healthy fish will have enough place to hide and swim. One month in, no issues. Not to mention that the Piranhas were there before with the fish, with less hardscape.

The L191 does not eat plants, or algae, they eat wood.

100 Otos for a tank this large is nothing to worry about.

So is the tank going to be full of algae, or will the Otos starve? I do think that the Otos will thrive in such a tank.

Regarding how are plants being fed... if only root balls existed. Ah yes, they do. :)

On the wood logs there is moss, ferns and anubias.

At the back there are echinodorus, and it is there that CO2 as setup, running 24/7, at least to give them a chance to reach the top and break the water.

What it really matters is that the public is happy with the tank, the Sea Life center is happy with the scape, and the fish are healthy.

One month in, plants are still thriving, so obviously something is working.

Back