• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pinsettes and Scissors Questions

frothhelmet

Pinsettes

Pinsettes often come in 3 sizes. Is longer always better (if cost were no object)? Or is it optimal to have a pinsette that is not too long for control?

What about curved tips on Pinsettes? Is this a useful feature? Why?

Scissors

Do we prefer curved or straight-tipped scissors? Or do we need both to be 'competent' aquascapers?

I have never used aquascaping tools, but am thinking seriously about getting some (I think Pinsettes and Scissors are all you really need, along with a paintbrush for substrate flattening).

Thanks for your input all!

I think really long and short are if you're working on a nano or a larger tank. In a nano, long pinsettes become a bit of an issue. That being said they're not majorly different. I cope OK with my UKAPS ones which are all medium/long :)

Try out some of the different ones at TGM this weekend and get a feel for them.

I've got 3 sets of tweezers that I use and I have to say that for nanos I much prefer the longer ones. I also really don't think the Money for the ADA set is worth it, after handling a set they feel almost exactly the same, right down to weight, as "heavy Gauge" jewellery tweezers. The ones I use the most are 7" long "low gauge" and are perfect for small plants I then use 11" "heavy gauge" tweezers from a jewellery shop for bulkier plants. Expect to pay about £6 for the heavy gauge ones and £2-3 for the low gauge ones.

I bought some but never used them.

The only things I use are:
A really long paint brush for brushing stuff off stuff.
A toothbrush on a stick for scrubbing stuff.
A pair of hairdressing scissors. I find it a lot easier to just get right in there when it comes to pruning.
Fingers, the best tools in my cabinet.

Just my opinion.

R

i use the TGM 30cm pinsetts & 30cm scissors. the pinsetts are so nice to use when planting. i found them fine to use when planting my nano as when you hold them you only have about 8" of pinsett to handle. as for the scissors i find them a bit heavy and if i had the choice i would pay a little extra for the curved blade looking back now. when i bought them if i remember right TGM sold a differnt style of scissors they wernt shiny they were matt (i think) and were a lot more lighter but a little more pricy.

they ada ones are cool, but i am using the the TGM ones and they seem to be holding up to the job well.

rufus_blackwell said:
I bought some but never used them.

The only things I use are:
A really long paint brush for brushing stuff off stuff.
A toothbrush on a stick for scrubbing stuff.
A pair of hairdressing scissors. I find it a lot easier to just get right in there when it comes to pruning.
Fingers, the best tools in my cabinet.

Just my opinion.

R
Agreed, fingers are the most important tool...

However, I feel a decent pait of tweezers are essential for anyone that ever deals with small plants. I can't imagine planting glosso/hairgrass/HC etc. in a nano with my clumsy fingers!

Back