• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pincettes (tweezers) that actually pinch?

Big G

Evening all,

Finding that my angled pincettes are turning out to be my go-to tool. Use them for a host of little jobs in the tank not least of which is fishing out dead leaves, cat hair (two shedding Persians :banghead:) and little green tuft bits of algae that crop up here and there etc.

Mine are cheap and cheerful but perhaps unsurprisingly have not turned out to be the rust-proof precision bits of metal I might have hoped for. Neither do the very tips ‘pinch’ together quite as exactly as I might choose.

I know they’re really not designed for this level of precision but I’ve become quite attached to using them this way.

Scissors are scissors.

Would anyone know if chucking a bit more money at a premium or branded set might get me what I’m looking for? I’m not sure in these times of uncertainty or indeed, short of a lottery win, I could ever justify shelling out upwards of £50 on ADA ones but to be fair I probably would get my moneys worth as I spend more time fishing for algae than I do watching television or reading nowadays. Christmas isn’t too far away (don’t hate me). Also got a friend that travels fairly regularly to Tokyo so might be able to get little bits of ADA kit a little more reasonably.

Does greater precision come with that outlay? (I’m well acquainted with Feather blades and shavettes so know where the money goes with Japanese design, manufacture and engineering ). Shall I bite the bullet or get a reasonably priced set of JBL’s and never look back?

Suggestions gratefully appreciated

Must be angled ones.
Must be reasonably long.

Cheers as always

Bg

I have to admit I brought ADA pinsettes and wave scissors and now there all I use you can really tell the difference IMO the pinsettes nip together at the very end and are long and thin making planting a pleasure as for catching alge and floating leaves its like using chop sticks really good fun the ✂️ are so sharp my misses used them to cut my sons hair in lock down lol dont think il need to spend any more money on tools 😀

I have to admit I brought ADA pinsettes and wave scissors and now there all I use you can really tell the difference IMO the pinsettes nip together at the very end and are long and thin making planting a pleasure as for catching alge and floating leaves its like using chop sticks really good fun the ✂ are so sharp my misses used them to cut my sons hair in lock down lol dont think il need to spend any more money on tools 😀

Agree the ADA pinsettes and scissors are well worth the money. There are a few threads on here regarding them.

Ive bought no-name ones, upgraded to well known mid range branded ones and then ADA. The ADA ones are leagues ahead of the others.

I used the Tropica tweezers which I really like (vs a previous unbranded kit) but I doubt they are the same as the ADA pinsettes and not sure if there are any good alternatives for pinsettes.

JBL Proscape tweezers and scissors are excellent. I don't even like the JBL brand that much but those are the tools I pick every time.
Plus one for JBL tools. Especially if you don't have the budget for ADA.

I think I'll give the JBL Proscape P30 curved pincettes a shot first and see how we go.

I've no doubt the ADA are the pinnacle of engineering excellence so maybe if I'm still unhappy with the JBL's further down the line.

If I can I'll come up with my thoughts in a week or two.

In the meantime I can definitely recommend something like this to add to the kit if its your sort of thing;

Amazon product ASIN B001CLWFWW
Earned its place for me.

Much appreciate the input.

Cheers

Bg

Back