• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pics of the new Discus.

krazypara3165

As promised i have finally got round to taking some pics of the discus. cheers to the guys that helped me out learning how to take reasonable aquarium pictures with a slr as i was having difficulties.

Heres the results! still not happy with them but far better quality than i was achieving with my mobile phone pictures. would also like to say thanks to Steve at Punchard Discus for the stunning fish!

PC298060_zpsb6914b42.jpg

PC298035_zpsb336c597.jpg

PC298031_zps7bcc204f.jpg

and one of the tetras...

PC298043_zps177d3924.jpg

What substrate are you using?

Looks a bit like the jbl sansibar sand.
Great pics though and lovely discus. Although I've heard that darker substrate actually makes the discus not show there true colour??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its just basic black sand i got from ebay. alastair, your correct. in pidgeon blood species its can make "peppering" worse. i only have two of them (the orange ones) that should hopefully turn deep red so hopefully it will be less noticable. however most of the substrate is covered by plants anyway.

Lovely fish. I really love discus but they just seem difficult to keep from what I understand

Lovely fish. I really love discus but they just seem difficult to keep from what I understand

Dont believe the hype! Quality bred discus are not as hard to keep as they make you believe. Mine are kept in tap water (matured for 24 hours) but there are an awful lot of people that swear by r.o with daily water changes which is simply not needed. The best advice I can give is if you buy them from a breeder that keeps them in tap water (dependant on how hard your tap water is) and you shouldnt have too many problems.

Are handsome fish, I raised some domestic juveniles a few year's back ,and the frequent water changes were due to several small feeding's per day for juveniles to achieve good development/growth.the young fish need more protein's to achieve the development, growth i desired.
Fish grew quickly, and were near five inches inside a year with three weekly 50% water changes and three or four feeding's a day.
Would agree that R/O water is not needed for domestic(tank raised) fish.
Only trouble I expierienced was with blood worm's (maybe bad batch). Once i excluded these from their diet,,no more issues.

Back