• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Photoperiod

jp303

Quick question, I set up my first planted tank yesterday and am now letting it cycle before adding any fish.

Regarding lighting, what photoperiod should I be using at this stage? I set it for 6 hours because I'm sure I read that somewhere but can't seem to find where I read it.

Any advice would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all really depends on your light spec.
What light do you have?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

It's the built in led on the aquavogue 135.

44w led with an output of

115 PAR @ 30cm
50 PAR @ 60cm

According to a rep at aquaone
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

6 hours is a good start, you can build up to 8 hours if things are going well (no algae) over a few weeks but be prepared to back off if necessary .
Some folk build up to 10 or even 12 hours of light but I think that 8 is pretty standard.

Great, looks like I'm on the right track. Thanks for the advice

30cm of the water gives your a par range of 165 nano mole, so that should mean you plants are getting an everage watt of 15 microgrammes of photosynthetic output per minute for nutrition building input. most plants only need 10 microgrammes of nutrient output to sustain their surivval that means you are giving them an average of half more than necessary which should flourish the plants within a week tops, and considering nutrients which add more microgrammes of nutrients, 30cm should be enough at 8 hours a day more hours to enjoy you tank.

Thanks for the info. I will build up over the coming weeks

Back