• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Photo lots of refection

Zeus.

Fertz Meister
Hi

was after posting some pics of my hardscape for some feedback. But getting lots of reflection off the glass :mad:
which is making the pic very poor (only one kessil atm have yet to decide on where its a keeper?)

IMG_1323.JPG

end view not too bad
IMG_1325.JPG

put a blanket over the back glass which helped a bit
IMG_1334.JPG

any other tips for taking the pics, I'm using an iphone 4s for the pics

(still playing with rocks/wood/AS so no comment need on them yet :shh:)

Zeus

Purchase a roll of Black felt!
Use this on the Back and Side panels...this helps reduce reflections!
Pictures should be taken in the dark with just the aquarium lights on!
More lighting can be added to produce better results!
Cheers hoggie

Big help :thumbup:

I had spent most of day getting tank in then cleaning rocks wood then hardscaping so was late by the time I was trying to get some pics, was just dispapionted at how poor the pics was compare to how it was looking to the eye ;)

Doesnt help with only 20-25% of the light output too :angelic:

Polarising filters also help with reflections: a circular polariser on the lens will enable you to adjust the effect. Haven't yet tried it myself for tank photography, as I'm just learning about this too...

Here too, i have the tank standing in a rather small room with withe walls close to the tank, so what ever i do there is always reflection from these walls.. Asked a professional photographer what the best workaround is... Answer actualy was rather simple..

You could use tripods or lightstands or some DIY structure anything large enough to place a plank on top.. Anyway example: Lets assume we take 2 tripods, a wooden plank, a bunch of clothespins and 2 black cloths, large black towels or what so ever to create a black curtain with. Both cloths need to be a bit larger than the tank widht and height even beter al the way to the floor. Place the tripods left and right from the tank, fasten the wooden plank on top, hang the 2 cloths over the plank and fasten them with the clothpins. The camera and you are behind the curtain. becuase you have 2 cloths there will be a slid in the curtain, this slid you can move from left to right over the lenght of the tank. Put the camera lens through this slid and close the slid above and bellow the lens also with clothpins.

Now the tank only can reflect a black curtain, you and the camera are behind it. :) which will not be seen. The camera can move verticaly and horizontaly over the whole tank in any position. The camera can slide verticaly in the slid between both curtains and the curtain can be moved horizontaly over the plank on the tripods.

The main problem you have is hard light. Simple you’re shining a torch beam in a tank you are always going to get turbo shadows. First step, soften your light then follow other steps to increase coverage. If you want more tips I can go into depth

Back