• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Phosphates kill Cyano or LACK of Phosphates kills Cyano? Video.

Stan510

Somebody tell me what he is saying. I use the CC translator and not sure if he's saying that when Phosphates reach zero,BGA thrives. I always thought it was the opposite? I recently stopped weekly water changes on my big aquarium and went to twice a month. Algae has regressed no increases. Plus,I am a heavy feeder of my fish..3x time a day of fresh shrimp,or dried krill and colorflakes...beefheart also for the bottom fish especially as they seem to prefer that.
Now,I also have more plant life then ever and I'm not sure if thats the other difference maker in regards to algae?

whimm

I might be wrong but from the posts on this site the theory seems to be that in high tech planted aquariums, low nutrients including phosphates cause plants to suffer and release ammonia causing algae. But there is also a theory (Non Co2 Methods ) that in Low tech, water changes cause fluctuating co2 which can cause algae. I guess the video is a high tech aquarium and he's saying low phosphate helps bga thrive.

Stan510

Sounds about right. He also added a third light and one of the commenters asked why would you increase light when you have an algae problem? For me the winter is better plant growing as the large window behind my 920 liter supplie's more light than I need,sometimes. I don't advise others to do it this way. It's just what I had to do.
BGA was never a major problem in fish keeping..just seemed to explode as plant growing became so popular.

hypnogogia

He's saying that phosphates are close to zero (which corresponds with his local water supply) and is speculating that that's why he has Cyano Bacteria. he wants to bring his phosphates to 0.15.

Apart form that, he's talking BS. When asked about dosing ferts , he responded that high fertilisers will lead to more algae and therefore he came just put a load in. He's then asked about keeping ferts constant by using a dosing pump, and he said that that would help either. At the end of the vide he says that he has put 3 weeks worth of ferts in at once. He's running High tech and not dosing fertilisers correctly.

Last edited:

Stan510

I thought being European he was actually telling the consensus. Why I wanted to be clear about it since the translation for me was a bit murky. Plus..somebody told me on another plant board that phosphates from ferts made for aquarium plants is not the same as phosphates that make the news as polluting streams into foamy messes. Whats the thought on that?

ceg4048

Expert/Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Sounds about right. He also added a third light and one of the commenters asked why would you increase light when you have an algae problem? For me the winter is better plant growing as the large window behind my 920 liter supplie's more light than I need,sometimes. I don't advise others to do it this way. It's just what I had to do.
BGA was never a major problem in fish keeping..just seemed to explode as plant growing became so popular.
The commenter is correct. It is unwise to add more light when a tank has algae.
Plants, especially those in a CO2 injected tank require large amounts of KNO3.

BGA is not a phosphate related algae.
Among other causes, BGA is caused by low Nitrate.
If you are having a BGA bloom increase your KNO3 dosing.

Cheers,