• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Philodendron query

mort

Hi all,

Just picked up a nice mature philodendron selloum hope from the garden centre and was wondering if any one could help with a question? I know these can suffer from yellow leaves if they are either nutrient deficient or have been kept in to bright a condition. A quick Google shows a lot of these plants have yellowing leaves, so I'm trying to figure out if I need to do anything to get it green again.

The top leaves are the most effected which is why I thought to much sun to begin with but the lower leaves are also a little yellow. It does have some burn marks to the leaves as well but not completely sure if this is just a coincidence hiding a nutrient problem.

Most of the leaves are just a slight yellow like this, size 11's for scale;)

20190911_142950.jpg

But a few leaves are like this which I think might mean a magnesium deficiency? At least somewhere in the back of my mind I remember yellow v marks being a mag problem in philodendron

20190911_143037.jpg

Either way it was a very cheap price for such a large vigourously grwoing plant, so even if I have to trim the poor leaves of its still a bargain.

Thanks in advance.

Just realised the first picture in the sun doesn't show the discolouration very well. Hopefully these are better. I dont think its as simple as they darken with age as there is a really mix in leaf sizes with the same apparent issue.
The second pic is perhaps the best showing the deep green leaf with newer smaller yellowy one above, more of the leaves on the plant are like the yellower one than the nice green.

20190911_143716.jpg
20190911_143801.jpg
20190911_143728.jpg

Hi all,
That it is a quality find. It just looks like it has begun to run out of food.
A quick Google shows a lot of these plants have yellowing leaves, so I'm trying to figure out if I need to do anything to get it green again.
Try a tomato feed (like <"Miracle gro">), if that doesn't green the old leaf up it is sun damage.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, I just gave it a feed with those magic blue crystals so we'll see if that perks it up a bit.

Use water from your waterchanges -->

I do, I have six (left from 11) clown loaches all approaching 8-11" and 25+ years, various catfish all the same sort of age and they produce a lot of fertiliser. I've got a musa basjoo that's gone from a foot to nearly 10 in two years because of it. It's got to big that it won't fit in my conservatory anymore and I might have trouble over wintering it.

I planned to repot this soon and had a look today, the only compost left was on the top and the rest of the pot was filled with pure roots. It got me thinking, can these be propagated from root cuttings? I had a brief look online but most of the info was for rooting cuttings and not whether actual root cutting were viable.

Should say I heard someone mention it but was dubious as I thought root cutting were from plants that multiply from sucker type growth like herbaceous plants.

Last edited:
Hi all,
can these be propagated from root cuttings?
Not as far I know. Even stem cuttings are quite difficult with the meconostigma group Philodendron spp., and mostly you are reliant on them producing adventitious plants. (A bit like it is with monopodial (like Phalaenopsis) orchids). I had one for about ten years and it never showed any <"sign of branching">.
the rest of the pot was filled with pure roots.

That was partially why I thought it might have run out of food. They produce a lot of roots, even these tree ones are really epiphytes.

cheers Darrel

Back