• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ph profile

Minus the hair algae, are these buce still unhappy?

Attachments

• 20221005_200408.jpg
    20221005_200408.jpg
    834.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 20221005_200355.jpg
    20221005_200355.jpg
    820.9 KB · Views: 90
Question all....

If ph drop in the first hour of co2 on is 0.5 can I calculate that the ph will drop at the same rate for the next hour?

I.e. 2 hours = 1.0ph drop?!

Will that rate slow as the ph drops or remain constant?

Thanks

Chris

If ph drop in the first hour of co2 on is 0.5 can I calculate that the ph will drop at the same rate for the next hour?
I.e. 2 hours = 1.0ph drop?!
Will that rate slow as the ph drops or remain constant?
Its definitely not constant, it would be really nice if it was though 😄
I dont know the right english words for it but the laws around gas in water are more exponential than they are linear.
The more CO2 you have in the water vs the air above the tank, the more the rate of offgassing will be.
The sides want to be similar if that makes sense, and the bigger the difference the faster the exchange will be.
Apologies to the experts if I have chosen incorrect words, sometimes the language barrier becomes a bit difficult.

Unfortunately you must measure the entire ph profile and tune it in the hard way 🙂

Morning all,

Thought I would follow up but also ask advice once again..

So plant health is really good now, missing compounds were added to my fertiliser or front loaded and plants looks really healthy... I'm pleased.

Co2 must still be off, ph drops from 7.6.. to 6.5.. by lights on but then continues to drop throughout the photo period - I'm really struggling to get a stable pH.. any tips?!

Hair algae is persistent is this because the ph is continually dropping during lights on?

Any help appreciated

Chris

Morning all,

Thought I would follow up but also ask advice once again..

So plant health is really good now, missing compounds were added to my fertiliser or front loaded and plants looks really healthy... I'm pleased.

Co2 must still be off, ph drops from 7.6.. to 6.5.. by lights on but then continues to drop throughout the photo period - I'm really struggling to get a stable pH.. any tips?!

Hair algae is persistent is this because the ph is continually dropping during lights on?

Any help appreciated

Chris

How much further is it dropping through the photo period?

Generally increased surface agitation is the answer, this will off gas more CO2, so you may have to up your injection rate to compensate (and may be able to reduce your build up period before lights on as a side benefit), but it helps create a harder ceiling for the CO2 and results in improved stability in the CO2 levels.

At the moment it gets down into the 6.3..

I have added a wave maker and at 14:00 when I lights come on today I will play with surface agitation and see if I can reduce the drop

At the moment it gets down into the 6.3..

I have added a wave maker and at 14:00 when I lights come on today I will play with surface agitation and see if I can reduce the drop

I'm not sure I'd be too concerned about a 0.2pH difference - the wave maker might be overkill, I'd just maybe raise the lily pip a little.

Hmmmm, so the hair algae is not caused by a dropping pH?

I'd say its unlikely - 6.5pH to 6.3pH over the entire photo period isn't much of a variance.

Do you have a picture of the hair algae? Green hair algae can be difficult to deal with, because it operates much like higher plants. Do you still have your Twinstar at 50%?

The light is on roughly 75%, drop checkers green come lights on and green/yellow at lights out

Hair algae keep coming back..

Attachments

• 20221208_155829.jpg
    20221208_155829.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
  • 20221208_155837.jpg
    20221208_155837.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 73
[22/09/2022]:
Twinstar 900S turned down 50%
The light is on roughly 75%

So you've increased the light by 50%? In my limited experienced green algae are predominantly triggered by excess light, and the Twinstar 900S is quite a bright unit - even at 50% its still putting out 2625 lumens,

Was there a specific reason why you decided to increase the light output? I would try reducing the light back down to 50%, and stay on top of the algae via manual removal with a toothbrush, and see if its growth reduces after a few weeks.

I agree, the light is the driver.
However my theory was why turn down the light when I should be optimising conditions for the light at full brightness?

The tank looks dim at half brightness and I thought It would be more beneficial to learn how to overcome the issue then reduce the light and not learn how to balance the conditions.

Many use this light at full power so I beat myself up not knowing how...

Thanks for the pointers so far though

Chris

Back