• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PH pen choosing help and questions

Maybe I am being unfair here but I just wanted some help with my original questions, not to know the theoretical most maximally effective way to measure ph, its way out of my budget. Maybe I should have started with a disclaimer about that, if so I apologise, I will do better. Just getting a bit frustrated if im being honest

Sorry, should have read that last line before posting above - the Hanna pens you have linked to in the OP will do precisely what you want them to, they will allow you to perform a pH profile.

You can also get significantly cheaper ones on Amazon:

Whilst I can't personally vouch for any one of them, most should be sufficiently accurate for you to be able to take measurements for a simple approximate 1pH drop. They just may not be particularly long life products, and won't be of the same order of quality as the Hanna units - like many things in life, with devices like these you often get what you pay for.

but it will depend how deep you OCD runs :D
You know me Wookii, it runs pretty deep but my wallet is shallow 😂

"So for example, say your pH is 6.58pH, meter 1 should report between 6.48pH-6.68pH and meter 2 should report 6.5pH-6.7pH. "
Thanks for this, that was exactly what I wanted to know. I think as long as the budget is what it is then I will go for the 0.1 meter 👍
Get CO2 on point, sell a truckload of plants and then I will revisit the fanciest gadgets down the road 😉

As for all the comments you got from me and others they are meant to provide some background/knowledge/experience and perhaps for you to see that not all is black and white, specially when it comes to PH testing.
I appreciate it Hanuman I really do. I regret not taking a breather before writing that post. Everything is pretty much a shades of gray kind of deal, it is frustrating to me at times, especially when one is trying to find an ok shade of gray to go for and there arent really any absolute best choices.
Im going for the Hanna meter since many of my peers seem happy with it and I think it will do an ok job even if its not perfect 😊

Not sure what they cost over there, but the Hanna PH Checker was the ‘lower’ cost option I went for. I have been very happy with it, it has held calibration well, still checks out after a month of use dialling in CO2.

It’s only 0.1 resolution, not sure if the extra decimal place is essential or not. I haven’t gotten down to , nor needed, that level of fine tuning.

Hey Hufsa

Might be able to solve ur dilemma.

I have a Hana Hi 98103. Been using for 4mths since I had this tank. Very easy to use. Very easy to calibrate. Has done a spot on job for me for full PH profiles and ‘dip checks’.

Lol! The exact pen that JacksonL has just posted.

I just bought a TDS pen which has PH built in so I don’t really need it any more. Happy to do you a bargain deal on it if ur interested?

I’ve got the dreaded Covid so might not be able to post til next week but PM me if you are happy with second hand hon and I can take a look at postage costs to Norway etc. 😊

Also it comes with set of 7 buffer, 4 buffer and cleaning fluid but my local horticulture shop had the 250ml bottles of buffers and the storage solution for $7 each. Should last a fair while, only need a drop of storage solution in the cap after each use and the buffer solutions last a while.

Hey Hufsa

Might be able to solve ur dilemma.

I have a Hana Hi 98103. Been using for 4mths since I had this tank. Very easy to use. Very easy to calibrate. Has done a spot on job for me for full PH profiles and ‘dip checks’.

Lol! The exact pen that JacksonL has just posted.

I just bought a TDS pen which has PH built in so I don’t really need it any more. Happy to do you a bargain deal on it if ur interested?

I’ve got the dreaded Covid so might not be able to post til next week but PM me if you are happy with second hand hon and I can take a look at postage costs to Norway etc. 😊
What timing!

Hi all,
I use the Aqua Medic Probe in my reef tank, its as accurate as it needs to be, i calibrate it every 6 months and holds its calibration very well.
Salty, heavily buffered solutions will give a reasonably accurate reading with most pH meters, in some ways they just confirm what you already know. With sea water you also have a datum value to aim for.

The problem with freshwater is that it is a lot less salty and <"a lot more variable">.

cheers Darrel

I know this isn’t the topic of the post, apologies to OP… but with the talk of PH probe technicalities…
Why do I get a relatively instant read when checking calibration in buffer solutions, but it takes a while for the value to stabilise in tank water?

I know this isn’t the topic of the post, apologies to OP… but with the talk of PH probe technicalities…
Why do I get a relatively instant read when checking calibration in buffer solutions, but it takes a while for the value to stabilise in tank water?
Darrel will be able to explain this from a more technical point of view, but it is because in your tank the PH is constantly shifting due to soil buffering, ferts, co2, low conductivity, water agitation etc while a buffering solution is designed to remain at a very specific PH with the use of acids/salt and bases for you to be able to calibrate the pen/probe.

Hi all,
low conductivity ................. while a buffering solution is designed to remain at a very specific PH with the use of acids/salt and bases for you to be able to calibrate the pen/probe.
Yes, it is the reasons that @Hanuman says. Buffer solutions are very specific mixtures of <"weak acid / weak base pairs"> and they are fairly "salty" solutions. It is actually the saltiness (conductivity) that is the most important factor in the time that it takes for the <"pH to stabilise">.

If you can find pure sodium chloride (NaCl) you can add that to your water sample, it will <"raise conductivity, but without changing pH"> and the pH will stabilise more quickly.

cheers Darrel

Back