• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PH logger

fishbro

hey guys I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a device that can automatically log ph to do a profile with. Either off the shelf or diy is fine (I’ve got many Arduinos and raspberry pis kicking about).

I’m not usually able to hang around all day to take readings so I think a logger would be ideal if cheap enough!

Thanks!

Have yet to find a meter, they are strange devices I think. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place?

Yeah I too haven’t found one that does logging. I could always get a cheap one from amazon and maybe set up a raspberry pi to photograph the display every 30 mins, but that’s kind of a pain lol

There's the Atlas Scientific stuff for direct measurement, (there are other clones of these out there). This is probably the best DIY option for RPi out there.

If you already have a pH measuring device (that doesn't have data logging) and you want to gather data automatically from its output, then you are limited to what you can do. If the output is a seven segment led display then trying to sniff the signal and translate this for logging is extremely difficult and from what I found not worth the effort, the choices for automation are then limited to either a constructed device using photodiodes over each segment and translating that output or the most basic method of sticking a camera in front of the display and taking pictures over time, you send the pictures through an OCR program (optical character recognition) and log that output.

:)

There's the Atlas Scientific stuff for direct measurement, (there are other clones of these out there). This is probably the best DIY option for RPi out there.

If you already have a pH measuring device (that doesn't have data logging) and you want to gather data automatically from its output, then you are limited to what you can do. If the output is a seven segment led display then trying to sniff the signal and translate this for logging is extremely difficult and from what I found not worth the effort, the choices for automation are then limited to either a constructed device using photodiodes over each segment and translating that output or the most basic method of sticking a camera in front of the display and taking pictures over time, you send the pictures through an OCR program (optical character recognition) and log that output.

:)

Cheers for the link :) I might give that a go! I don't have any ph stuff at the moment, but I think I need it to try and work out what's going on with my co2 due to all the algae!

Actually found a decent kit today https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1782.html

This is part of dfrobot's "gravity" system which is a shield you can get for an Arduino. It also works with their "lattepanda" single board computers which is awesome. I have one of the original ones they release a few years ago, so I'll be able to write something in visual studio to record the ph value every 30 mins :) Hopefully I can get to the bottom of my algae issue with a proper ph curve for examination!

Back