• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ph drop

Tonyball

Just a quick question..
I brought a ph pen to test ph drop..

Co2 comes on at 10.30am so at 10.29am I tested the ph in the tank and it read 6.6ph ' the drop checker was dark green..

Then at 2.30pm 4 hours later when lights come on, i measured it again and it was 5.8ph

Drop checker lime green

Then at 3.30pm 5.6ph

Lime green

Now holding 5.6ph

Plants pearling 2 hours after lights were on..

Does this sound ok?

Thanks

Others may disagree but I would be happy with it and leave it as that. You could try and dial it in so you get a quicker drop to the target 5.6 but i don't see the need.

Just a quick question..
I brought a ph pen to test ph drop..

Co2 comes on at 10.30am so at 10.29am I tested the ph in the tank and it read 6.6ph ' the drop checker was dark green..

Then at 2.30pm 4 hours later when lights come on, i measured it again and it was 5.8ph

Drop checker lime green

Then at 3.30pm 5.6ph

Lime green

Now holding 5.6ph

Plants pearling 2 hours after lights were on..

Does this sound ok?

Thanks

Others may disagree but I would be happy with it and leave it as that. You could try and dial it in so you get a quicker drop to the target 5.6 but i don't see the need.
Ok great I may do that.. do you know at what point the ph start to rise again ? Am assuming it will start to rise a few hours after lights on?

Thanks for the reply 👍

You want the PH to stay at the 5.6 during the entire photoperiod, and then it should start to rise when CO2 is off gassed when it turns off.

My CO2 comes on 4 hours before lights on too. I can easily drop the pH quicker by injecting more, but the issue is my tank takes a while to stabilise, it's only after 4 hours or so that the pH stays within 0.1, and this is important - CO2 stability greatly benefits plants. So as Nick has said above, I'd just ignore it. If your pH is stable, you're all good.

If your drop checker is dark green when you switch on the CO2 then you have residual CO2 in the tank so you dont really know what your pH target shoul be. Agreed you are in the right region but I would suggest reading the sticky by @zeus on how to dial it in.

And here is a MUST read for anyone wanting to inject CO2:

Back