• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PH drop causing Fish Death

Fuzzy Shaq

Hi, everyone hope you all had a nice weekend. I have a issue regarding my high energy set up. I'm injecting Co2 1 1/2 hours before lights on and turning off 2 hours before lights off. My drop checker is always green even after a water change, so I decided to add a air stone at night just to be on the safe side.
Would using the air pump create a big enough PH change that could kill my fish? I have lost a few fish, however I'm not sure whether it's the columnaris or PH change. I've ran the air pump the last two nights and each morning there is one dead fish.
I'd appreciate some advice or help, as I'm scratching my head .
Thanks

. My drop checker is always green even after a water change
The only time I see blue solution in the dc is when I change it, interestingly when I do a wc the dc goes lime green. Permanently green isn't a bad thing.
Would using the air pump create a big enough PH change that could kill my fish
No. Might help off gas the co2 and increase ph levels, but will have zero negative impact on fish wellbeing.

Last edited:
The only time I see blue solution in the dc is when I change it, interestingly when I do a wc the dc goes lime green. Permanently green isn't a bad thing.

No. Might help off gas the co2 and increase ph levels, but will have zero negative impact on fish wellbeing.
Thanks for the advice, I've added an air stone now that runs at night. Gives me peace of mind plus the white noise of the bubbles is nice 🙂.

Adding an air stone <does not provide very much gas exchange>.
Columnaris probably does not kill fish without obvious symptoms accumulating over time.
If you drop checker was always green then I rather suspect that the fish died from carbon dioxide toxicity.
If you need help with diagnosis, then provide details (species, age, symptoms, etc).
Hi, it was columnaris as there all okay now after being treated with Myaxin. I've added an air stone to run at night just for peace of mind so it's blue in the morning. All the fish are happy and healthy now.
Thanks 👍

I don't think the PH is the source of the death else we would all be seeing death in our tanks on a daily basis.
Maybe providing more information on the tank, its parameters and some picture could help diagnose what the issue is.
Hi, the fish are fine now. I treated with water life Myaxin, I had introduced new fish without quarantining them first, totally my fault. I've added an air stone at night now, so I don't need to worry about gassing the fish overnight.
Thanks

Back