• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PH accuracy?

Speaking from my own experience, those figures (+300 to +400mV) are not easy to achieve. I suspect there are many tanks out there that fall short of this range. All it takes is a small amount of organic waste to drag these figures down towards the +200mV mark.
I actually don't have a clue.
I tested mine for fun, and got 300+. How accurate that is or how the numbers are just before waterchange, is unknown.
Once I get my CO2 dialed in, I can switch probes and do a profile. Just for fun :p

Hi @kilnakorr
I tested mine for fun, and got 300+. How accurate that is or how the numbers are just before waterchange, is unknown. Once I get my CO2 dialed in, I can switch probes and do a profile.

Yes, that would be interesting. Perhaps you could also check your tap water?

JPC

Hi @kilnakorr
I sure can. Looking for something specific?

I seem to recall that the Danish water companies don't resort to the use of either chlorine or chloramine as used in some other countries such as the UK. I think the Danish water companies use UV-C sterilization but I may have got my facts wrong. The ORP value of tap water can apparently be anywhere in the range from +220 to +380mV.

JPC

I seem to recall that the Danish water companies don't resort to the use of either chlorine or chloramine as used in some other countries such as the UK.
True. It was completely stopped in 2009.
I'll let you know, when I'll have the opportunity to test it. Need some calibration buffer first. Probably not ecpensive, but damn postage is😕

You are right, and I don't really care about the specific PH. But when tuning in CO2, I'd like to know if the probes are reading right. They both measure same value in tankwater, but with CO2 injected they don't drop at same rate.

I'm starting to think, I have a PH goblin in the house messing up my readings...

PH of degassed tank water: 8.3
PH tank water in tank : 7.5
PH with CO2 (yesterday): 6.4

Looks like a 1.9 drop, so currently I really have no clue what PH to aim for:confused:
you aren't off gassing co2 enough overnight. consider installing a surface skimmer or increase surface agitation.

Hi @kilnakorr
...Seems ORP is of use. Like most other parameters in the tank, you can use it for stability check and not for chasing a specific value.

I have been conducting ORP measurements on my experiment(al) tank for a few weeks now and it's proving to be very interesting. I have dabbled with ORP measurements on other tanks over the last few years. In fact, I've discussed the topic of ORP with Carl Strohmeyer on his forum. This time around, I'm determined to decide if ORP is a worthwhile parameter to measure in freshwater tanks. At the moment, I think it may be a good indicator of the overall health of a tank. But, I want to do a whole lot more measurements before I take that final (!) decision. I have accumulated many scientific papers on this topic. I've got to the stage where I don't currently keep many fish, shrimps, snails and plants. But, I'm still an aquarist - I keep water in my tanks!! And I will be resurrecting my main tank as soon as I can safely go out and get a good few barrels of RO+DI water.

JPC

Last edited:
you aren't off gassing co2 enough overnight. consider installing a surface skimmer or increase surface agitation.
Already have a skimmer and lots of surface agitation. Even with 48 hrs of no CO2 injection, the result is the same.
Question is not about the starting PH, but 2 probes with different drop values.

In fact, I've discussed the topic of ORP with Carl Strohmeyer on his forum.
Link please:p
I have accumulated many scientific papers on this topic.
Sharing the info?;)

I read one of his articles / studies and it's very interesting.
Getting my second monitor tomorrow, and calibration solution friday, so I can start testing:p

Seems ORP itself is fine, but along with PH even better to get what Carl Strohmeyer refers to as rH value.
Interesting topic indeed:)

Apparently, pH probes can be susceptible to electrical interference, so that might be an issue.
Very interesting. Makes a lot of sense. I'm simply going to take alot of readings and watch the lifestock, while tuning.
Both probes seems to give stable readings throughout the day, so I'm quite sure there isn't any major interference.

Back