• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PFS is actually Sharp?

I’m taking a sand deep dive and looking for the perfect one for me, or at least to educate myself and know my options and hopefully help others along the way.

In looking a little beyond the stuff always mentioned, I came across this:

Different Types of Sand and What They Should be Used for

Learn about all the different types of sand and how each should be used, including what sand actually is and why some are different colours

It’s mentioned that PFS works because it’s sharp. Most MSDS sheets have it characterized as “sub-angular”.

Does classifying it as sharp and angular, just mean relatively in this case? Meaning it’s not really all that sharp and fine for all manner of burrowers, bottom dwellers, and sand sifters?

I haven’t seen mention of problems with it other than the rare occasion.

The article above is interesting, but when I do internet searches using their terms it seems like everyone has a different idea of what should be called what and there’s a lot of overlap.

I’d like to find the one they mention as River Sand and a few other names. Sounds perfect.

What characteristics would you say keep a sand from compacting? Is it size, or consistency of size, or the uniformity or lack thereof in the smoothness of the granules. I’ve heard so many things when it comes to that, I have no idea what is true.

Any other less known options for the perfect sand for a planted tank and bottom dwellers that comes in colors other than mostly solid off whites?

Thanks!

Back