• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Persistent diffuser issues.

Nick potts

Hi all.

I have a persistent issue with all of my diffusers ( the twinstar type ), they work fine, sometimes for months at a time and then they always randomly just stop allowing CO2 through. This happens whether they are clean or not and also with brand new ones.

Just bought a new aquario neo mixer which comes a tiny diffuser, detached my old twinstar (that was working perfectly) and set up the aquario, nothing happens, upped the pressure and the gas starting escaping from the connection of the diffuser and CO2 line joint, so i reattched my previously perfectly working twinstar and am having the exact same issue.

Really don't understand why i get this issue, it has happened at somepoint with all of them :(

Been fiddling all night but still can't get them to work, rather annoying really for such a simple device.

The obvious response so apologies, but you've made sure it's not regulator-related right? i.e. added another diffusion method and proved there is adequate flow through the second device?

I am experiencing similar issues but this is down to my regulator... its is allowing water to backfeed into the solenoid over night and when it turns on the next day... no co2 can get through without a huge burst of bubbles. A faulty plunger is apparently the cause... I've replaced everything else including needle valve, diffusers and bubble counters but awaiting to replace the plunger to see if it solves the problem.

The obvious response so apologies, but you've made sure it's not regulator-related right? i.e. added another diffusion method and proved there is adequate flow through the second device?

Yeah checked the reg and it works with other diffusers.

To simply state the obvious, if you've swapped the unit out and its working, then the issue is with the unit surely. How are you cleaning them?

I am experiencing similar issues but this is down to my regulator... its is allowing water to backfeed into the solenoid over night and when it turns on the next day... no co2 can get through without a huge burst of bubbles. A faulty plunger is apparently the cause... I've replaced everything else including needle valve, diffusers and bubble counters but awaiting to replace the plunger to see if it solves the problem.
Hi,
Are you not using a check valve between the Bubble Counter and Diffuser, if you are, then are you certain it is the correct way round?
Cheers!

Maybe of no help but I find with the twinstar diffusers when they are either new, or after being cleaned and allowed to dry the gas struggles to get out. I try and soak them in water overnight before they go in the tank, this seems to resolve the issue for me.

This could be a CO2 leak related issue. A minute leak drops the pressure within the diffuser and no CO2 will be visible. The leak could happen in any connection prior the diffusor. You increasing the pressure does not solve the issue as more CO2 just escapes through the leak. Make sure all connections are seated properly. Every year or so I usually trim 5mm of the hose and reseat it on all connections. With time they expand and may allow CO2 to leak.

Hi,
Are you not using a check valve between the Bubble Counter and Diffuser, if you are, then are you certain it is the correct way round?
Cheers!
Yeah I have the co2art precision check valve before the diffuser and it's the correct way around. I used a brass one previously and replaced it just in case. I'm honestly at a loss with what's causing the issue if its not the plunger. I've tested for leaks and resat all connections multiple times but the issue continues.

20230315_221835.jpg

That wouldnt happen if there is a properly working check valve!

To simply state the obvious, if you've swapped the unit out and its working, then the issue is with the unit surely. How are you cleaning them?
They are cleaned in bleach, and most of them are brand new.

The ones that work consistently are the white ceramic type.

Immerse the check valve in a bowl of water and run the Co2!
Try do this with all the connections!
Even the bubble counter if its not attached to the regulator......you could try using two check valves....one before the diffuser and one next too the regulator!

This could be a CO2 leak related issue. A minute leak drops the pressure within the diffuser and no CO2 will be visible. The leak could happen in any connection prior the diffusor. You increasing the pressure does not solve the issue as more CO2 just escapes through the leak. Make sure all connections are seated properly. Every year or so I usually trim 5mm of the hose and reseat it on all connections. With time they expand and may allow CO2 to leak.

I'll replace all tubing today and see if that helps.

It's an odd one because the diffusers can sometimes work perfectly, then they go off for the evening and then refuse to work the next day.

They are cleaned in bleach, and most of them are brand new.

The ones that work consistently are the white ceramic type.
Is that neat/raw bleach?

Back