• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Penicillin in the aquarium !?

flaviu.vlaicu

Hello.I have a major issue.Someone told me if I want to cycle my new tank faster,I should insert a fresh frozen shrimp that you buy from the local food store.I have made so.I put the shrimp in the aquarium and left it for 10 hours.In the morning all around him there was a web like,white stuff that looks like penicillin mold.I cleaned the portion near the shrimp put is still appears on the ground in some places and on some plants.How can I get rid of it ? I have made several water changes but nothing happened.Must I put out all from my aquarium and start all over again ?! :crazy:

I suspect it's to try and kickstart any bacteria. I've read similar things to be honest. Use google and search for "Fishless Cycling". A different way to do it is to dose Amonia on a regular basis and then test for it. When the tank/filter start to process something like 30ppm of amonia in 12 hours, I believe that's when it's cycled.

You'll have to read up on that though!

A fully planted tank is a little different though. If it's heavily planted from the start, you can stock a few fish (not many, usually clean up fish, like ottos) and gradually build stock levels.

I guess rinse the gravel and treat as a completley new tank. Either way the tank will have to be cycled in order to stock fish.

You can add some filter start to the pads in the filter compartment etc.

Ive only had that happen to me once, but it was on a piece of wood which I didnt soak in properly.

Back