• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pea puffer and algae eaters.

Taking on a species that is difficult with the idea of giving them away always worries me. You have to not only find people that want them, but make sure those people understand all the problems detailed in this thread, otherwise you are just passing on a problem. When experts find a fish difficult it always give me pause. I have peacock goby, which are much easier, but even with them I have had to remove one which became "depressed" by being dominated, and now have another in that state. Fish behaviour is probably the hardest part of this hobby to get right. I wish I had known more and knew more now.

I will add my experience with them but it isn't the norm,I have been keeping dwarf puffers for about 8 years and I have multiple spare tanks I can move fish into if there are ever any issues.
Currently I keep a group of 9 in a 3ft 180lt tank along with a shoal of Chela dadiburjori,both species I've had for a lot longer but they've been together about a year now with no problems at all.
Whilst they're often touted as "nano fish" in my opinion they really aren't,the majority of mine are a lot bigger than 2cms and chunky with it.
One of the biggest issues is that the size most lfs get them in at you have little chance of reliably sexing them and I would not advise 2 males in a 20 gallon,once they hit maturity one will almost certainly kill the other.

Back