• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Parasites in the filter! Lots of them, help!

elettrone

Today after two weeks of serious foggy water issues in the my tank as described here i decided to do a massive water change(also due to a dead shrimp found yesterday evening).
While cleaning the upper filter(i got a Juwel Bioflow 3.0) i noticed very thin worms moving in the water residue and some very tiny very fast moving "things" swimming in the same water residue.
Due this reason i decided to remove the bottom section of the filter too to check it and i found the same kind of parasites where the biological filtration is so i boiled the two sponges to sterilize them but i'm not sure what should i do with ceramic material where good bacteria dwell.
Right now the cirax(ceramic compound) is lying in a bucket with some water from that same tank to avoid killing the bacteria and having to restart from scratch the filter maturation witch has 2 months now, give or take a day.
Now i'm SUPER WORRIED about what's happening in my tank and about fishes health.
Here is a video of these parasites, pls heal, i'm really lost here.

I wouldn't worry too much, pretty much all tanks will contain some degree of microfauna or other, and the vast majority of it is just bonus fish food. Do you have any particular reason to suspect that your fish have health issues or parasites? If so, its unlikely to be down these critters. Chances are that at some point you'll see planaria, hydra, leeches, daphnia, ostracods, freshwater limpets, cyclops, nematodes and a host of other things. Of these only the first two are generally worth worry about, and then only if they're in very large numbers.

Having said that, I'm struggling a bit to positively ID either of the things from the video. This is a good place to start to see if you can get an ID and set your mind at rest - The Worms!

In the meantime, get your media back in the filter and keep it running.

No particular reason to say the truth besides the fact that yesterday i found a dea shrimp. The rest of the fauna seems more than ok.
Let's hope it stays that way.
Thanks for the info I'll check the database you provided.

Hi

It looks like planaria to me.( again I may be wrong, struggling with the videos). If that is the case, you should pay attention to your substrate. If they are in your tank and thriving, they must be getting foods from somewhere e.g dead fish/animals or plants or uneaten foods trapped in substrate. Though not harmful to the fishes, they can do some damages to eggs.

I would suggest, find the cause of why your water quality is poor, do constant water changes to remove the waste and cut down on foods/nutrients.

Back