• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Overhead light for growing Pothos?

DogTailRed2

I have a Juwel 450 which has downward focussed light and a black top. No light escapes upward.
I'm thinking of making a hole in the top and growing some Pothos to reduce Nitrates.
Any suggestions for an overhead lamp suitable. It could be a spot lamp of some sort but it must run cool as I have a cat who likes to sunbath under our other tank lamps
and the top of the tank is plastic.

You could have a tall floor standing lamp if no room for extendable clamp on light. Take a look at videos by Plant Life Project on you tube

Im growing echinodorus walstad-style with a cheap desk lamp from Wilko and a random 6w Cool White LED bulb. Im sure Poths will grow gangbusters with any Warm/Cool white bulb!

Pothos grows so quickly as a vine that you can trail it to where you want easily, so it doesn't have to stay over the tank. I'm cheap so have it vining towards a window. So I wouldn't look at fixed lighting above the tank if you have somewhere else to grow it to, where it could be a feature.

I am using a IKEA Vaxer LED Grow Light E27 800 Lumen to Grow plants up and around my paludarium. I am trying out Gynostemma pentaphyllum (Jiaogulan) both in soil and as a cutting on the paludarium wall. It seems to be responding well and with the Vaxer bulb the greens really 'pop'. I bought this after hearing James Wong advocating using these with indoor plants (apparently for a while it was all he used)

The bulbs aren't available in the UK anymore, however, there are lots of alternatives on ebay. Others may be able to suggest a brand.

Back