• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Out with the old in with the new...ADA 60p

michael woods

As some of you may be aware, I posted a few threads on here when I was struggling with my first scape. It was an interpet fish box with an amalgamation of all sorts of remedies to try and get it something like some of the stunning scapes featured on here.
al8vh.jpg
I received some invaluable advice from members on here but I fear it was a bridge too far, so I stripped the tank down and sold everything off.[DOUBLEPOST=1401118262][/DOUBLEPOST]I had an idea of how I wanted my tank to look and I drew inspiration from various other journals on here and I had my heart set on the ADA 60p. So after spending a few hours with James at The green machine, he gave me just the insight I needed, and explained how to get my tank looking just right. This picture was taken on Tuesday 13 May, just after I had spent all evening hardscaping, planting and filling up.
qozew.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1401118657][/DOUBLEPOST]I set this ADA 60p using the same fluval 106, but I changed some of the filter media to seachem purigen. I also changed the outflow and inflow to lily pipes, which after reading a vast amount of criticism; I am actually hugely impressed with, my filter is on maximum flow and everything is not like a washing machine. I placed the outflow lily pipe directly opposite the co2 diffuser in the centre of the side in concurrence with the concept of flocculation. One of the main things I struggled with on my last set up was Co2. I am running exactly the same Co2 setup but, whereas I was actually running at 4bps on my last tank, I'm currently running at 2bps. My drop checker is a nice line green at lights on and as this picture, taken a couple of days after filling her up, shows, the micranthemum Monte Carlo started to perk up.
yiw9.jpg

Last edited:
Is spent a good few hours at TGM playing around with layouts for the seiryu rocks and had a few ideas I wanted it to look like. IMO, I feel that the layout of the rocks achieved my goal of wanting to create a mountainscape similar to those found in North Wales, or Lord of the rings, or even the lion king for that matter! I started EI dosing the day after filling her up which I thought was in vein given the 50% water changes I was doing daily for the first week. However, I was already using established filter media so I hoped that this 'new cycle' against the ammonia that the aquasoil Amazonia wouldn't take too long! By the end of the first week, the Monte Carlo seemed to be adapting well with no floaters and was spreading out nicely, appearing to love the new aquasky 601.
9r0x.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1401119833][/DOUBLEPOST]The old proverb goes that a poor workman blames his tools and whilst this may be so, during the 'incubation' of this new tank, I never really changed my approach to looking after the plants and fish keeping. I was guided through with advice from James and his staff at tgm, and also from various other members on here such as Ceg and many others. I believe that by upgrading certain components that are designed for use in planted tanks and (partially) following advice from said members, I was able to create an aquascape that I am truly proud of. Clive, if you read this; my apologies for not getting back to you on the ph profiling front, but I'd had it in my mind to upgrade the tank for a few weeks so I bit the bullet and learned some pretty expensive mistakes. However, I am hugely grateful for the advice you and various others who commented on my threads gave as I believe they all had valuable input in creating something that I am happy with. This picture was taken on Wednesday 21 May, just over a week after starting. I am hugely satisfied with the rate of growth the Monte Carlo has exhibited. Another thing worth mentioning is the little eheim surface skimmer on the right of the picture. It has totally eliminated ANY surface film, leaving the water surface like a mirror and allowing for uninhibited gas exchange at the surface. As previously mentioned, my drop checker is lime green at lights on which have been built up to 8hrs per day and it is blue first thing in the morning which I am sum missing as being that the co2 has been gassed off during the night through light surface movement. Upon getting my water tested at the weekend, my filter was fully cycled and fish/shrimp were added today. I will try and put some pictures taken today once the harlequins have settled in but everything appears to be going nicely. Once again, a huge thanks to those that helped. Any feedback on the tank would be appreciated (in a non narcissistic manner :))
ho2a.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Yeah, I'd used the interpet fish box for a while as a normal fish tank but trying to get it into an aquascaping tank was draining all my enjoyment! Far happier with how this one has gone :)

Cheers! My setup in the shop was actually slightly different and I was kicking myself after filling it up as I realised it didn't comply to the 2/3 rule but I'm not overly bothered as it's still iwagumi-esque! Ha yeah, I'm completely astounding with the growth! After my DHG dying off last time to all that in 2 weeks, definitely recommended as a carpeting plant

Cheers fellas! Yeah I'm made up with it! I know it doesn't have the tall stem plants or bushy plants like some of the heavily planted tanks do but I just wanted to go for a nice, simple, understated scape. Definitely reignited my passion for it...would love to do another one...and another one...and another one! Ha

Haha I know, that iphone and pair of hands are more stubborn than an extreme case of BBA, no matter how hard I try, they just won't budge! Will have to work on my photography skills for future pics! Cheers Nathaniel! I was going to reply with you named as one of the houses but have no idea what your preference is lol Starks ftw...might stick an albino cory named ghost in there ha

Just a quick update as the harlequins seem pretty settled in their new abode! Still a few areas for the Monte Carlo to fill in yet...1 or 2 dead spots it appears. I'm thinking of stocking this with about 10 or 15 harlequins...does anybody have a view on this? More? Or less? There's also 2 amano shrimp in there too and I'm looking to have 5 of the little fellas in. After reading Deano3's journal and a close inspection of my tank I've realised I've been dosing my tank wrong!! I used the nutrient calculator to give me a guideline as to the measure but what I forgot to read was that I should be dosing 30ml Macro/Micro and I've only been dosing 10 as that's what the sheet the ei kit came with :s. Obviously it's only an estimative index but some of my leaves are browning (lack of iron I believe?) so I've upped my dosing to hopefully save them :)
hijq.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1401203732][/DOUBLEPOST]Apologies for the poor camera skills...my iphone is pretty limited and seeing how most of my cash went on this...it might be a little while before I invest in a decent camera
oc6f1.jpg

Looks great! whats the full name of that plant "monte carlo"

Best regards
Efra

Back