• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Ottoloen Project

Put a pinch of potassium in today and kno3 just for good measure. Ottos having themselves a good scoff. Good way of finding if all are present and correct. Even the Ram fancies a bit of a salad haha. More realistically he's had his spawning corner taken over, too many about to bully any which has also took the pressure off the female who is doing a bit of bullying herself. Just shows, a common enemy is what you need to bring people together.

Unfortunately I lost one of the Ottos which was expected, I don't think you realise until you see one out of the shop next to a healthy one you've had for a while how bad a shape they're in! Hopefully if I can get any success breeding these I can get a stronger community with the tank for themselves one day.

Luckily the dead one had the decency to float on the top rather than sneak into some crevice and foul the water. I've been in the office all day and watched its death throws, I gave it every chance but it wasn't to be.

b5d094877c232254002b8792c9075e3a.jpg

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

Just noticed some first signs of issues, s repens with some holes in. Not sure whether this is mechanical damage from the Ottos or I'm starting to hit a point where co2 is becoming a problem?
Doesn't seem to be affecting the s repens where they have plenty of cover from the floaters on the other side of the tank.
66251609015426fcbe0d4fae0862ceb0.jpg

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

Yeah, possibly Darrel. I seem to have a stale point at the minute, maybe I'm to used to co2 injection and my expectations are to high. Apart from the Balansae nothing seems to be moving. Can't really blame it on any fert in particular it gets a healthy dose of most things. Water change 30% once per week, I have iron/traces tab in the soil once per month broke up into 4 bits and spread about as well a pinch of traces powder. Little bit of magnesium and from our previous discussion adding some potassium carbonate. Highly unlikely po4 would come into play I would have thought with plenty out the tap and the Osmocote releasing some. Only left Nitrogen but my duck weed is healthy, nitrate tests show good levels in the deep orange. Can't really see what else I could do. Just for belt and braces I dosed 1ml of NPK out of a EI bottle I already had mixed up but that would only add about 1ppm nitrogen. I do the nitrate tests at end of week so I figured maybe I'm low for a couple of days at the start of the week. Can't do any harm I guess.

I added a Pothos plant a week ago and the Duck weed was getting out of control, probably covering 2/3rds the tank. Harvested a fair bit out to only half the tank so maybe I was getting through a bit of nitrogen. Seriously considering putting a diffuser in and just adding a trickle of co2 to see if I can push things on a bit, the stems I have in there have never moved a mm since I started, the distance between the leaves are very bunched up.

Just to add, I haven't had to trim a plant in anger yet. Only cut off poorly formed leaves.

Back