• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Otto Help

Pretty sure the instructions on that one expect you to dose your whole aquarium once a week until the fish is better.
Something I wouldn’t want to do. I don’t like the thought crashing the tank if it kills the filter bacteria.

Do you have a little isolation tank and air stone you could use to quarantine the fish? Then you can just dose the little tank. Even an airstone/sponge filter in the bucket would be an option.

I haven’t had to treat a fish in ages but I’ve used old ¡school methylene blue as a 10 second dip in another container for most ailments then kept the fish in a separate mini tank between treatments

Last edited:
The instructions on the package for Meth Blue are outdated, prior to canister filters, and are wrong. Dose in a tub/ bucket outside the tank else it will wipe out your cannister bacteria

I had exactly the same thing a month or so back. I quarantined the little fellow did a 50 p/cent WC on the aquarium. In the quarantine tank he was active so I assumed he was feeding on a added spinach leaf or the plants. On day 3 he lost all his colour went creamy white. I added melafix to the quarantine tank. A couple of days later he was still creamy white but the white blob had gone. As he was active and appeared to be feeding. I returned the fellow to the aquarium and he just disappeared amongst the greenery. Thought l lost him couple of days later he was back with the group and back to normal colouration still not sure what caused this but fine ever since

Unfortunately I don't really have a quarentine tank. I treated him in the bucket for about 30 minutes whilst I did a large water change, definately seemed a bit tipsy when I put him back in. Lets see what today brings.

Thanks everyone, and sorry I didn't reply sooner, was a bit busy.

It's either a miracle cure or a different otto, not sure. Can't find the infected one :confused:

20220204_145616.jpg

I have the opposite experience. An otto started an outbreak of disease and survived throughout the whole thing that killed a lot of the other fish. So otos can be fairly hardy once they get over that newly introduced stage

Back