• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Otto bloated body and breathing rapidly

I haven't bought new fish in a long time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They generally seem to be platies and guppies that are dying - there is a lot of wood in the aquarium - I wonder if it lowers the ph too much?
possibly ... both these fish are very linebred to establish & maintain color/fin variants ...

I don't know the life expectancy of "natural guppies" but 1-2 years is not an unusual observed lifespan in aquariums (of course fish age may vary upon purchase), given how quickly these fish mature enough to begin breeding, I suspect they may be "annual fish" or not far off.

In general livebearers thrive in harder water, some manage quite well in soft water, others have much shorter lifespans

What's your tank details including maintenance?
(may notice something relevant, may not)

The neon tetras haven't been doing great but the cardinals and rummynose has been fine. I used to change about 60% water every week but now do it fortnightly. I dose EI, liquid carbon and co2. Use a jbl e1901 and the internal Juwel filter. Heavily planted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Livebearers have been inbred so badly, they are now what I call "sensitive" fish. As such they'd be the first to show signs of trouble. Ottos are also sensitive to water quality and the inevitable disease outbreaks leading from that. Your best bet is now to get serious about water changes and reset the tank. If it were me, I'd sacrifice a bit of time and start 60-70% water changes every other day for two weeks or so. Even if the water is not the issue, it can halt whatever is going on in there. There's nothing like fresh water when it comes to fish health. Even cleaning the substrate or filters isn't that important. Just drain and fill....

Back