• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Otto bloated body and breathing rapidly

Halley

Hi - I have an Otto which has a bloated body and is breathing rapidly - anyone know what is wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Internal parasites, probably worms? But thats a very rough guess with the sparse information you give.. Dropsy also bloates and is a bacterial infection.
Some pictures added to the story might help.. Almost any disease causes heavy breathing and or pinched fins because that's a common stress reaction from a fish beeing sick.

Here's a vid - the other ottos in the tank seem fine - if he was underweight I would put it down to lack of food...

That doesn't look excessively bloated. Are you sure it's not just a horny female full of eggs? Are there any other Otos in there? Perhaps you're about to witness some Oto lurve!

By the way, my Otos always react to a water change by increasing their gill rate. That on its own is not a cause for concern, IMHO.

Apologies for the video - blame the iPhone - just found a dead Otto today ☹️ - not much left of it - the other ottos look fine...

Just EI with some liquid carbo and c02

I think in small doses it's ok - it is a great algaecide - my tank seems to lose a couple of fish every month - is this normal?

I wonder what's causing it

Could be, your buying poor fish to start with.
Pushing them with high concentrations of co2,glut,ferts,Meds...will soon pick the weaker ones out.
Stability is the key (for me)

Maybe - there might be some microscopic parasites or something- bought some medicines but didn't sort it

Meds are largely a waste of time,in my opinion.
Buy from a trusted seller...give them a consistent maintenance regime and enjoy.
Oh...and a varied diet.

I think in small doses it's ok - it is a great algaecide - my tank seems to lose a couple of fish every month - is this normal?

not normal at all.

I'd start of by doing a large water change, maybe 50%, RO water just to cancel out anything wrong with your house water (I bet there is not). Install an air pump, with all that co2, o2 may be lacking.

So many things could be wrong.

Are the fish dying new fish? are they the same species?

They generally seem to be platies and guppies that are dying - there is a lot of wood in the aquarium - I wonder if it lowers the ph too much?

Back