• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Otocinclus Cocama is sick

Djoko Sauza

Hello all

My Zebra Oto's dorsal fin is injured (looks like the tips were bit off or rot) and the base of the fin is bloody red.

I only noticed it yesterday and this morning it is a bit lethargic/stressed, breathing fast.

Water parameters:
KH 5
GH 6
Ammonia and Nitrite 0
Nitrates 10
TDS 180

50% WC per week, using rain water

Tank mates are 2 Apistogramma Agassizii and 26 Green neon tetras, 2 more zebra otos that seem fine.
No fish show aggression towards the Otos ever.

I lowered the temperature from 27 to 24 and added an extra pump to increase oxygen levels.
Two days ago after water change I move the outflow of the filter to below the water level (before I had a nice splash going on).

He is otherwise well fed and was well acclimated to life in the tank.

Please help. Is it Columnaris?

Some pictures

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 144
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 136
Update

Started treating with esha2000. The area around the base of the dorsal fin turned white.

In LFS they suggested it may be from a wound caused in transport. Like his fin got caught on the net or something.

Let's see how it is in the morning.

How long have you had the little guy? Did well to get pics. Are other fins OK.
He passed away in the night.

I had him for around 4 weeks. All his other fins were spotless.
First week he was stressed but getting better every day.
From the second week onwards he was happily doing his thing, eating well and had good colors.

I noticed his fin rot on Monday so in less than 4 days he died. The area around the base of his dorsal fin was getting really white towards the end.

None of the other fishes show any symptoms so I hope it won't spread.

He passed away in the night
Sorry for your loss. I lost a zebra oto, the silly sod got stuck behind a small internal filter, but it may have been a dead fish swimming. Always difficult with these guys. Once settled in bomb proof but prone to misadventure. Lost a small male black oto to a surface skimmer and the unit was tiny.

Back