• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Osmacote diy or buy

Wolfie

Hi I’m looking into using Osmacote root tabs but have a few questions I need answered before I either buy from someone or I take the step and make my own.
1 is there a specific type I have to use?
2 what are the pro’s & con’s of using osmacote?
3 if I make my own where would I source the empty capsules from Also the Osmacote?
4 I have a heavily planted tank 46x45x30 so how many should I put in and how often?
5 is it compatible with the list of plants below?
I think that is all I need answered so just a little about my tank,
tank size as above I run an Ehiem Experience rated at 700LPH ( so around 550 to 600LPH)
also run Ehiem skimmer at 300LPH but this is turned down to the minimum it can be.
Soil is BackterKit soil with tropica substrate underneat,
injected c02,
dose EI ferts at 12ml macro/micro on alternate days,
Twinstar 450s on for 7H at max 55%,
plants are
Mayaca red x 10
S Repens x 20/25 stems
Pogostemon Erectus x 15 stems
Ludwigia Mini super red x 5
Wendtii green x 2
Beckettii x 1
Anubias Nana
Anubias petit x2
and 6 stems of a plant I don’t know
any advice on weather Osmacote is worth adding would be much appreciated

Do you have any growth issues ?
Some people do use root tabs but most people who use EI ferts don't bother.
Osmacote has been popular with low tech guys who use a sprinkle of loose grains over the floor when first setting up and I have read about guys freezing little blocks to insert into the gravel.

Slow yes but no growth issues.
Thats a thought though regarding freezing some to put in soil

I used to roll them into clay balls so that's an option aside from the gel caps.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Careful cause this stuff is really potent. First time I used it I ended up tearing the tank because it burned all the plant roots.

I still use it but as mentioned by @foxfish I follow Dennis Wong's method and just use a few balls instead of a full capsule.

Careful cause this stuff is really potent. First time I used it I ended up tearing the tank because it burned all the plant roots.

I still use it but as mentioned by @foxfish I follow Dennis Wong's method and just use a few balls instead of a full capsule.
Thats good to know thank you

Back