• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Orchids Bloom

Gill

I have been tempted by one of the Orchid Mantids for a good while now.
And have been gathering bits and pieces for its enclosure.
At AquaH there was a invert shop - 'Buzzard Reptiles' that had OG tanks by Custom Aquaria and i just had to get one of Matts perfect little Pico tanks for Inverts etc.
So next stop was Horizon to get some supplies, As decided i wanted to try Buce in this type of Setup. Just got a pot of SP Red as that was plenty for this teeny enclosure.
Next went to Victor(Mother of Aquatics) for some tall pieces for it to clamber around on, and found some lovely branched Chola wood for only £2 a branch. Perfect medium for gluing Buce to.
Already had the soil, Carbon etc mix saved from other stuff. So that was easy to mix up and add. Next a layer of Mosses to help keep the moisture Humidity levels,
Micro heat matt ordered and will be here tomorrow. aswell as a Lego style Led, as that's the smallest i could find will just hot glue it to the rim to keep it in place. I know its doesn't really need a light unit on it, but i want to showcase it all nicely. It does get ambient light from the shrimp nano next to it, but that's not enough for me.

The Enclosure tank is 20*10*10 which is perfect for this size of mantid and gives me the height I need to scape and make sure it has enough vertical height for the Mantid.
I'm going to just use a perfume atomiser and fill it with water from the nano to spray when required.
CUC has been added and getting some fruit flies this morning from PAH as its a few mins walk from me, would go to KBN but don't like using the junkies frequented carpark below the store.

I've got the Orchid saved in basket and will order when ready later in the week. Once everything is all ready and I'm happy with it.

Last edited:
Planted up, and ready for the Mantid.
CuC added, feeds ready etc.
Found a lego led set in my spares, so set that up to sit on the lid.

Attachments

• 20240926_104200.jpg
    20240926_104200.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240926_104145.jpg
    20240926_104145.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Back