• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Orchid and plant ideas

Brad123

I've have this piece of wood left over (on top of the tank). The wife has got a lot of orchids around the house. Know they don't like their root submerge in water. has someone done it how could I do it.
Also what else could could I attach to the wood looking for ideas.
Its in the office at work.

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
Hi all,
The wife has got a lot of orchids around the house
What does she have? Are they all Phalaenopsis? Have a look at <"Show your orchids!">
Bromeliad? Tillandsia capitata (and T. usneoides) or one of the epiphytic cacti? The Mistletoe Cactus (Rhipsalis baccifera) should do.

cheers Darrel

The wood actually looks pretty dry, unless you were going to wrap it in some sort of wicking fabric like hygrolon you're more restricted in what you could grow on it. I would try some Tillandsias. Pretty bulletproof and will benefit from the slightly increased humidity close to the tank.

I've have this piece of wood left over (on top of the tank). The wife has got a lot of orchids around the house. Know they don't like their root submerge in water. has someone done it how could I do it.
Its in the office at work.
Hi @Brad123
This is a Phalaenopsis with some roots in water.
You could try some roots in the aquarium and some out of the water!
Orchid roots in water..jpg
hoggie

When you grow phals semi hydropinically don't the roots still need to dry out a couple of days a week?
Hi @louis_last
I take it out of the water for a few hours, it doesn't seem to affect the Phalaenopsis as far as I know.

When you grow phals semi hydropinically don't the roots still need to dry out a couple of days a week?
As long as the water is decently oxygenated mine has always been fine with their roots constantly submerged, the trick is to never get any water on the rosette, otherwise they're pretty forgiving.

Back