• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Orcas spotted swimming off the coast of Cornwall

:) Lately, I came across an article about a Great White on its way to Europe... :nailbiting: It's a tagged Shark they are following with GPS...

This world and especially our oceans, are far more mysterious than we often give them credit for. There is absolutely no reason why we do not have Great Whites off the coast of Britain. The water temp is fine and we have large colonies of seals for them to predate. There are various theories as to why not but no one really knows. It's something that has confounded marine biologists for decades.

This confirmed sighting of orca's is really exciting and corroborates what many have reported in the past but without evidence. Who knows they may be part of an established pod that could have been swimming in our coastal waters all along. I like to think Great Whites have similarly been here all the time too but so far reported sightings (and there have been more than a few) have been dismissed for lack of supporting evidence.

What next, a walrus in wales:D

That is certainly very far south for orca. I know there is a resident pod off Scotland but didn't think they ventured much further down.

Who knows they may be part of an established pod that could have been swimming in our coastal waters all along.
More than likely tim, the article suggests these are part of the west coast community pod, that group of 8 are occasionally spotted off the coast of Ireland and Scotland. That being the case there's no reason why they wouldn't pop down Cornwall for a spot of sightseeing.

That is certainly very far south for orca. I know there is a resident pod off Scotland but didn't think they ventured much further down.
Kinda counter intuitive and paradoxical. According to climate change boffins they should be migrating northwards.

From the limited reading I've done it could well be that the whales occasionally benefit from warmer waters, one hypothesis that was recently offered suggested the warmer water assisted in their molting process, and could be one of the many reasons they migrate.

I have seen orca in the tropics and the artic/antartic, there’s no reason to not have them here, depending on what type, they are split into type A, B etc, partly on body characteristics and partly on diet, seal hunters don’t tend to eat fish for instance. these ones are normally seen between Scotland and farces, with one of them being the famous John Coe
They could be following the tuna thats been reported of the cornish coast.
The UK used to have a massive Tuna fishery, with a awful lot landed in ports like Hull, we got too good and hunted them to commercial extension, Norway has a 3t quota, here they are not allowed to be landed with out MMO permission, but seen them in large schools all around the UK, so that protection will probably get lifted soon

Back