• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Opti White

Fisher2007

Hi All

So I'm literally about to hit go on an order for a 1400 x 450 x 400 braceless aquarium from Aquariums4Life but I have a query re Opti White or not

My plan was to get the front, left and right panels done in Opti White and the rear and back in normal glass. My logic being why pay for Opti White on the panels I can't see. The back is going to be covered in black vinyl and obviously the base in substrate

Now thinking about it I'm not sure if when you look at the tank from the end (down the length of it) will you be able to notice the difference between the front panel being Opti White and the back not being? What I mean is normal glass has that green hint to when you look down/through the length of it and therefore I'm wondering if this will be noticeable or not?

I've read a fair few people have done the same as me in terms of only having certain panels made in Opti White so hoping someone will be able to give me an idea

Thanks

doubt there will be anything noticeable whatever you choose for the rear glass other than an ever so slight tinge, but if you're putting black vinyl on then it will make zero difference

only thing i'd keep in mind is if for any reason in the future you need to use that side, say if you scratch the front panel or move home and want it viewed from both front and back, unlikely but worth considering against the money saved

Only thing I would say is you cant turn it if something happens on the front ie a big scratch or a lil chip
Cheers
Jay

Thanks - very valid point and thanks for raising! :thumbup: I hadn't considered that and for the extra ££'s at this stage it's got to be better to future proof myself and go optiwhite other than the base

When you look from the tank end on you would might be able to tell in that the end of the back glass seen through the silicone might look a slightly different shade to the front but I think you'd have to be looking for it, and covering the back in black will probably have the same effect anyway.

But, I was going to do the same (and ordering from the same place) and in the end I went for it all around for the same reason suggested above - anything ever happens I can turn it around. If I remember right there wasn't a massive difference in cost on just one panel and I figured having the backup could end up extending the lifespan of the tank.

If you have one near home go to a glazier shop and ask for a sample to look at Normal Blank Floated glas vs Opti White glas. Than it depends on the thickness of the glass how much the differnce is obvious. In case 1400x400 tank will easily be a 10mm glass thicknes. Than normal blank floated glass will look very green.

Optiwhite is almost as clear as acrylic.. In more thickness in millimeters the green shade will be very obvious. It is most obvious looking at the sides head on.. Blank Floated is green, optiwhite is light turquoise..

But in a setup and flooded tank with a light above it?... It's a bit cherry picking on the details.. But an optiwhite does morrir slightly less..

Back