• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Opinions requested on hardscape

TeaHausCanada

Greetings from Canada! My custom tank has finally arrived and I'm trying to come up with an attractive and impactful hardscape. I've collected various rocks and wood for the past couple of years and I think I have some nice pieces. The tank is an opti-white rimless measuring 84cm x 40cm x 40cm. About 136 litres I believe. I'd like a tringular composition since my main viewing area is from the right side of the tank. (excuse the messy background, the whiteboard will be removed before I fill the tank). I have a lightscreen on order but it will be a while before it gets here. Anyhow, here are the first two attempts and would love opinions/suggestions; always looking to learn since I'm very new at this!!
Newscape2.jpeg
NewScape1.jpeg

Last edited:
Greetings from Canada! My custom tank has finally arrived and I'm trying to come up with an attractive and impactful hardscape. I've collected various rocks and wood for the past couple of years and I think I have some nice pieces. The tank is an opti-white rimless measuring 84cm x 40cm x 40cm. About 136 litres I believe. I'd like a tringular composition since my main viewing area is from the right side of the tank. (excuse the messy background, the whiteboard will be removed before I fill the tank). I have a lightscreen on order but it will be a while before it gets here. Anyhow, here are the first two attempts and would love opinions/suggestions; always looking to learn since I'm very new at this!!View attachment 191619View attachment 191620
Thanks for the comments!! Yes, that obvious cut bothers me as well. My thought was to hopefully obscure it with plants or moss.

I really like the wood in the top image. I’m just not keen on the rock placement.
Maybe have the rocks less vertical and more horizontal? I like the rocks but not sure if their needed. My first idea was iwagumi but I have some really fantastic plants in my 60P that will need to go into this scape.

I think it might be the colour difference more than the placement. The rocks can and eventually will be softened by plants anyway I suppose.
They're actually all seiryu stone but the one that looks less grey is showing a side that I think was buried in a previous scape. I think the lines should match....as they are right now, it's creating some tension. I'll fiddle around later and see what I come up with.

Last edited:
I've played around a bit yesterday and decided the vertical stone on the left was just looking odd for some reason. I've moved around some of the wood as well and am happier with where I'm at now.........but will continue to adjust.
NewScape3a.jpeg

Last edited:
I think move the whole structure closer to the front pane, leave a smaller foreground at the front for a nice thin beach area. Then use the rock on the right hand side to close of a little island that will hold soil and leave the rest as open sand.

It's been a couple of months but I did finally make a decision and this is what I came up with............still waiting for a few plants that I've ordered to arrive but all in all, I like the look and the fish seem happy in their new home! 20 Ember tetras, 5 white clouds, rescued pair of dwarf dannios, 5 sterby corys, 4 black mollies, snails, and a few otos which I never see.
CustomScape.jpeg

Back