• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Opinion on bushy mid/background plant

PedroB

Hi, I'm choosing plants for my future tank (80cmX40cmX40cm). I'm planning on having:

- an HC cuba carpet on the lower areas;
- a second level with utricularia graminifolia;
- Pogostemon Helferi at the bases of the hardscape;
- one or two wood hardscapes to plant small mosses in.

I'm looking for a plant for the mid/background area that grows quite bushy and that may provide a hiding spot for fry/smaller fish or shrimps.

Thank you!

That the correct name of Ammania "bonsai" is Rotala indica.

they are both beautiful plants but also quite different, i had both high tech and low tech and both in one tank. The leaf shape is more round on indica and larger, indica will also go scarlet where ammania wont, indica will also grow at any angle and curve over where bonsai will only grow vertical. Im sure there is a biological difference that sets them apart but im no botanist :)

I have observed the exact same differences, as you, Iain, in the plants I've received as "Rot. indica" and "Amannia 'bonzai'"........ but I have also seen notable differnces in plants of same name, from different sources.
Rotala and Amannia have been/are undergoing a "check-up", as far as I know.
I know Christel Kasselmann have been doing work on them, for sure.
Amannia 'bonzai' is defenitely a Rotala now, but I'm not yet sure if it's given species status or variety status.
Rot. rotundifolia is quite widespread and has long been known to have a lot of varieties............so it may well be, that several of our "common-named" Rotala-types will end up, to be varieties of species rotundifolia. Time will tell !!

Thanks for the info mick, interesting to know.
I guess for as long as we buy from the likes of tropica at least we know which plant we will get irrelevant of classification and from home grown buyers it can be a suprise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info mick, interesting to know.
I guess for as long as we buy from the likes of tropica at least we know which plant we will get irrelevant of classification and from home grown buyers it can be a suprise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You know, I can't comment on that, Iain

Back