• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

One of those stupid threads. Suggest fish for....plastic tubs, ha, ha

No not realy, they are a small carp breed all have the same potential of growing full size. But they are captive bred for 1000nds of years unfortunately but obvuously also inbred for as many years, hence the monstroseties out there with telescope eyes etc. So a lot of the common ones also mutated into dwarfed versions and stay rather small. I already have them for many years and some keep growing and some of them stagnate in growth at a certain age.

It's the same with color, they all are born black (at east from above its black, from the side it's more greenish. That's the original natural color of the ancester. Some get orange, others get white, others again get spoted and others again stay plain original color. The breeders sellect these dark ones out you wont see them as pet goldfish in the LFS. But the breeders also feed special food to enhance color and accelerate growth. Commet tail versions even bought completely orange all have the potential to turn completely white while maturing when not fed special food.

There is absolute no saying what you finaly will get and how fast that will be, but you have a bit a hand in this as well with feeding naturaly.

In general consensus from breeders and LFS info, they say they grow to fast and too big.. Yes that is true with the super duper high protiene they feed, that's what they do, always did and obviously all they know and advocate. Very unatural food to accelerate and enhance this and that is common commercial practice and info.Feed a lot and buy a lot..

I have my own bred goldfish and feed them sparsely and rather naturaly and they all are still extremely healthy under 5 cm in 2 years time. They feed on plants, like duckweed, salvinia, elodea, froozen food and additionaly every few days a bit pellets. :)

That's all i can make of it. But because you never know what gene is most active, be prepared.. It's a gamble, i might got luky with breeding on a batch mutated to stay smaller for a longer time. You need an address to rehome them if it doesn't work out, beter safe than sory for the fish..

I love how this has turned into a kind of goldfish conversation. It's been a while since I talked this talk because I stopped using my goldfish forum a couple of years ago and only use this one now. I did think about suggesting a goldfish but didn't because sciencefiction has the tubs planted and my experience with goldfish vs plants has been a poor affair, I think we spoke about the vs before. Even the tough plants like Anubias and Amazon swords got roughed up by my fancys, but strangely in their current tank there's some salvinia auriculata which they havent touched.

Anyway it sounds like you've got a lot of experience with common goldfish. I once had a 5ft tank with a whole load of different coloured commons, black, yellow, orange and calico and it was the best tank I've ever had. Your right about goldfish being a special fish, kind of similar to how Oscar's get praise. It was great to watch the fish cruise the tank in single line one after the other following the leader, then break off and go their own way. Everybody that saw the tank loved it, probably helped the tank was massive but for me it was the fish. I ended up moving so I traded in all of them because I had 5 other tanks to contend with, didn't want the hassle. Wasn't long till I got my self a nice black moor which has turned into my all time favourite fish. You used the word "monstroseties" regarding telescopic eyes and since I have two fancys with these eyes, I took offence to how you view them. Maybe you've never seen a beautiful telescope fancy, checkout SolidGold goldfish on youtube, it will sway you. I can see where you're coming from because fancy goldfish are a frankenstein fish like no other, with bubble eyes and the other mad ones where the eyes look only upwards. To me breeding the telescope trait in goldfish is much more attractive and acceptable than breeding for a massive Kok in flowerhorns, there's even similar Kok thing going on with glass fish. Wouldn't a flowerhorn look so much better without the Kok? It all comes down to people playing god, getting there names etched into history, thinking they're great because they created something that was never before, it happens with plants as well. Crypt flamingo might be bright pink but it's not a monstrosity. It also comes down to taste and that in life there is no such thing as normal. Do I sound mad as in angry? It's more like ranting I hope. It's just I have one huge calico telescope called Blink and what makes her so special to me is that she has one eye! Basically I think she's a beautiful fish and she's not perfect (nothing can ever perfect in life). Best of all she has a story and to prove you wrong I'm going to take a picture tonight when the lights are on and add it here so you can tell me what you think. Sorry I just don't like people dissing my pet fish.

"monstroseties"

Excuse me, for not realizing this word could be offensive for some people.. Thanks for sharing this.. In the future shall be more carefull with choosing my words. Tho i didn't mean it as negatively as interpreted, but understand what you say.. I also definitively can see beauty in ugliness that's not the point. Not difficult with fish in general, we have loads of ugly beauties out there.. I find them also cute and could give it love as well, if i ever found one on my doorstep. I certainly wouldn't kick it out. And even tho i personaly miss the point why they breed customized animals like that. It's indeed a mater of taste we can't discuss over. A discussion about it was also not my intention.

And indeed when it comes to plants, this you have to choose very carefully.. Floating Potamogetons, Nynphoides, nymphaea is absolutely no problem, they also do not touch it while it still is in submersed form.. Anything marginal planted also. So in setups like this plants are still as beneficial if not more than anything submersed. I have also salvinia natans, but this is also eaten, at least it always slowely disappears, maybe they only munch off the roots. I'm not realy familiar with keeping them in a tidy scaped planted aqaurium setup. I once planed an indoor planted winter tank for them a while ago, but during the process of building it i decided not to and make it a tropical tank. Actualy as a gest to myself it still has a Goldfish in it, the Oreichtys cosuatis, stands for The Goldfish from Koshi river in India.. :)

Last edited:
Overwhelmed with suggestions!!! :D

Thank you everyone. I really enjoyed reading each and every post! :)

I am thinking, considering gold fish are messy, how does one keep a low flow and large filtration? By the time I ensure there's enough filtration, the flow will be good enough for my hillstream loaches:p

Having said that, I am undecided yet....I have to think but there are obviously tons of fish I can get. On another hand, being the bottom fish lover, I may look into more loaches, lol...

In regards to plants, its not a big issue if fish eat them. If I set up a 300l tub, I was thinking sand and round big stones as substrate and emersed plants again, instead of underwater ones.. Perhaps even emersed anubias because the 300l tub I was looking at is tall enough to reduce the water level a bit, and for a change, instead of house plants, try some anubias emersed, or something of the sort...That means I may need a lid of some sort...So again, undecided because it will be awkward with setting up the light over a tub....Thinking aloud, maybe too much hassle....

tubs are great for fishkeeping, if you can get over the limited visibility; I've got a 50 litre tub with gardneri killifish in it just now, have also used tubs for white cloud mountain minnows, betta breeding and all sorts, can't really go wrong.

Yep, I am loving tubs. Its just not good for pictures really but for personal entertainment they're great. I really have no problem seeing the fish. I had more problems before in glass tanks when some fish hid from me, once they saw me nearby. My clown loaches have been in a pond for over a year now and I had never seen them so close and in such great detail from upclose for all the 6+ years I've had them....They actually act quite happy to see me now....wagging tails, looking up at me when I come over :)

Like said Goldfish will outgrow,there is a small species of Shubunkin ,most have potential to grow large,but I believe difficult to find on sale. How about small Barbs real comedians and fun to watch

There is absolute no saying what you finaly will get and how fast that will be, but you have a bit a hand in this as well with feeding naturaly.
Most fancy (shortbodied) goldfish will eventually reach 6-8 inches (SL not TL), others (less compressed) will reach 8-12 inches
Usually their growth slows after ~ 4inches

Generally, I expected bigger sizes but I must have flash memoreis of koi fish, not gold fish :)

Cute illustrations & descriptives

21 Incredible Types of Goldfish

- though I've seen "common" goldfish in ponds that are much larger than 12 - 14 inches

Note it's best to choose either "slim" or "round" bodied goldfish for a tank, otherwise the less gainly fish tend to end up losing out in all the food & dominance games
(they can lose eyes as well)

Lol. Still on the goldfish topic, so it's all good. I did take some pics last night but stuff happened. When I get back from this job thing I'll upload some pics to convince sciencefiction to get a pet goldfish. Whoooooo go goldfish! Na I'm just being stupid now.

My head is spinning, lol, so many types....
Lol and it doesn't stop there, in that link the sellectively bred are discussed. And than there are mixed tubs where all is dumped that doesn't fit the general standard comming with the title. Than if you look closely you see dozens of differnt shapes and color patrens. But in the end it all are the some fish and they can outlive you depending on your age when you buy them. And this is actualy something to think about a bit further than just the numbers. It's an animal that absolutely aint stupid and it can live easily for 30 years if not longer carps in the wild are found up to 80 years. In a goldfish case say 30 years, that's a lot of time to gather information and to learn things starting at a very young age. Than imaging a they absolutely need some input and challange to stay psychologicaly healthy. They are enourmously curious and playfull and also develop kinda family or friendship bond in the group. They rather bond with the group than the invironment.. Imagine for a creature like this beeing lockep up in a dull square tank where it only is challanged to bully one of it's tank mates etc. They can get frustrated and as so many other fish the goldfish needs a well arranged thought out invironment with broken lines of sight. They are very curious and like to be challanged not to get boored in life, than give them this challange. This maybe goes for all fish that have the potential to grow very old like the Clown botia which also is a very curious playfull and social fish.

They can also turn the eyes in the socket to focus on a target. At least a healthy developed eye can.
dscf8736-kopie-jpg.jpg

This is the matriarg big mama Jambo with here mind set on a hard to get pellet. Sucking and blowing bubbles and making waves.. See the 2 smaller dudes in the back, the orange and the blacky on the right, watching and learning. That's how you do this kids!..
dscf8738-kopie-jpg.jpg

Took a few minutes but she finaly got it..
dscf8737-kopie-jpg.jpg

This is my discarted comet tail Snow White and Mama Jambo's long time friend. They spend a lot of time close together... It was completely orange when younger and slender. Now it's white and has a lovely fat wiggely belly. I grabed it few years ago from the 99 cents mixed bucket in an lfs. It's a girl btw... :)
dscf8829-1-jpg.jpg

:)

Lovely pictures Zozo. They look fairly happy. Thanks for posting.

I went for a drive today to the fish shop. I had a look at the gold fish there. My other half really liked the shubunkin....

I am thinking I just won't have enough capacity to house them long term, considering I have to think about my clown loaches first.....

But I am definitely considering the 300l tub so perhaps the two small tubs are going to be taken down eventually to make room, though I might have room for them too, lol..
I want cold water so I can move my hillstream loaches, which are tiny by the way....I'll have a heater keeping it at 19-20C just in case... I am going to have to get a large size filter, or two, maybe one Fluval FX6 will do, also 2 strong overhanging lights, and of course the tub, plus sand, stones, plant baskets,..
etc...So, its a bit of a project..

The big, beautiful Blink and obviously Black Moor had to show his face too! When I first got Black Moor, I thought about returning him, thinking he was a psycho goldfish cause straight from the get-go he was chasing Blink and has barely left her alone since. At first I didn't have a clue what was going on, but now I know it's just breeding behaviour, since I know all the fishes genders. I'm half tempted to add a breeding mop and then Blink might actually drop some eggs. Anyway, I did as I said I would and uploaded some pics, so what do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_20180209_225206614~2.jpg
    IMG_20180209_225206614~2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 203
  • IMG_20180209_225953023~2.jpg
    IMG_20180209_225953023~2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 210
Your hillstreams would love my tank, because there's so much for them to grass on. They would get eaten tho. I once added a heater to raise the temp a bit so I could add a load of male guppies. Then when I would lay back on the feeding from time to time, the guppies started going missing until I was left with 3 from the 10 I bought. I was wounded because it did make the tank really interesting, there's even empty pond snail shells littering the substrate, so I guess they were munch on as well.

Nice! Thanks for posting. They seem to love being pictured, ha, ha. Blink has a very grumpy face :lol:

How do you get so much green algae? I am not sure how to grow some more. I have the light on 12hrs and although there's some on the glass here and there, particularly one side of the tank, Its rather slowly clearing lately rather than growing. I don't have stones in the tank because its covered with crypts. The only thing that saves me is that the hillstreams devour the NLS pellets I feed them. I feed them a mixture of algae max and cichlid formula. They go nuts over it, making little sand storms..

I think I am going to stick to small fish....can't risk the little guys being eaten. I am going to think and read on the suggestions here in the mean time. Its got to be fish that can withstand some flow.

Nice! Thanks for posting. They seem to love being pictured, ha, ha. Blink has a very grumpy face :lol:

How do you get so much green algae? I am not sure how to grow some more. I have the light on 12hrs and although there's some on the glass here and there, particularly one side of the tank, Its rather slowly clearing lately rather than growing. I don't have stones in the tank because its covered with crypts. The only thing that saves me is that the hillstreams devour the NLS pellets I feed them. I feed them a mixture of algae max and cichlid formula. They go nuts over it, making little sand storms..

I think I am going to stick to small fish....can't risk the little guys being eaten. I am going to think and read on the suggestions here in the mean time. Its got to be fish that can withstand some flow.

No problem quite enjoyed the discussion this has turned into and plus I haven't shared my fancys with anyone for a long time.

Basically I have just let the tank do its own thing only cleaning the front and side glass. Its the most natural background and looks good IMHO. In some pics I've taken the algae looks really dense, especially from the sides. I use led lighting with blue in it so that might help but I think it looks the way it does because the tanks about 5-6ft from a tall window and it's directly opposite it as well. Natural sun light is way better than fancy led's costing hundreds. I find it very cool how a lot of my trumpet snails have a nice coat of green on their shells.

Last edited:

Good old white clouds, danio (personally love choprae but pearl, leopard and zebra would love it), lots of nice stiphodon gobies are becoming available as well and for something a little bigger but highly underrated opsarius bernatziki or one of its family members. They all do well in cooler water with high oxygen content and strong currents as would some of the beautiful shiners like rainbow shiners or the red shiner https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/red-shiner-cyprinella-lutrensis

Back